1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offered 10 quid an hour during hols?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by install, Feb 18, 2016.

1. install

install Star commenter

I have just been offered 10 quid an hour to work during the holidays.

At what point does learning and intervention matter more than earning a living? Has anyone ever been offered less?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Many teachers are expected to do such class for nothing.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

As we will be doing over Easter

4. install

install Star commenter

Does everyone do this? What about petrol expenses? Childcare costs over the hols?

dljames2013 likes this.
  5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi Install,

I childcare is extremely expensive, so is petrol-

I would present the HT a spreadsheet which includes all your costs- I would also email this to your union rep.

Offer them 3 solutions-

1. School set up a crèche or other suitable age related childcare option. Ensure that they provide food and drink as well.

2. School pays for appropriate childcare for you as this is an extra expense...

3. School increases your rate to acknowledge the fact that you have incurred extra expenses by coming into work ( childcare, packed lunches, petrol, wear and tear)

If other staff are in a similar predicament, I would go as a group with a union rep and keep this utterly calm.

I would be mindful that you may be punished in other ways for being reasonable- extra observations, more book scrutiny, frequent drop ins... KEEP a log and inform your union.

ON THE OTHER HAND- you might want to get in debt, be worried about finances, feel sick when you get charged by the bank for being overdrawn, have no rest during the holiday period because you are stressed out...

Choices, choices- so many and all of them very hard.

SSS

Landofla and sabrinakat like this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Or just send a definition of "holiday" to your HT.

Dragonlady30 and Compassman like this.
  7. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

That's a joke.

I ran an Easter intervention session last year, but that was paid at £75 per half day (so £150 for a full day, which is what I did).

At that rate, I think it was worth giving up a day of my holiday (and it also did have a clear impact on some of the pupils who attended). With an extra £150 for a day's work, I could enjoy the rest of my holiday more (plus I don't have children and my commute is short - so I wasn't incurring additional costs by doing this).

But you're looking at £50-60 for a day's intervention which is pitiful. When you consider how much schools pay out to supply agencies on a daily basis, they should be able to pay more for your expertise and knowledge of the pupils.

I think they're talking about doing Easter sessions again this year, but some of SLT have changed and I doubt we'll have such a good pay offer. There was talk of it being remunerated if we target PP pupils, but what if the pupils who need intervention the most are not PP?

Landofla likes this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Tell the HT you are in France (or the country/county of your choice) for the whole of the Easter Holidays.

"Thanks for the opportunity to make £10 per hour, but as you can see I have made other arrangements..."

bobdrivesahgv likes this.
  9. FrankWolley

When I was i/c getting supply etc. (more than a decade ago) the school commonly paid £180-£220 a day....

10. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I have run Easter interventions for the last two years (two short days, 9.30 - 1.30); pay was much the same as myrtille. Kids were happy to come and it had significant impact - which could have had something to do with the fact that they felt very important, wore their own clothes and were supplied with unhealthy snacks!!!! Motivation was high.
    Running the intervention was my choice; it was suggested by SLT the first year but I didn't feel under any pressure to agree to it - I suggested it the second time and will probably do it again this year.

Landofla likes this.
  11. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Absolutely not!

Teachers are often coerced into giving up their time in the holidays for 'intervention and support' because it will "look good on your appraisal".

Very often they 'volunteer' (they feel they have no choice) and put these sessions on for free for fear that should the pupils perform poorly then they will be denied pay progression / offered support for not doing everything they can for the pupils. The senior staff will also try the 'well others are doing it why not you?' This has to stop.

@-myrtille- has it right. £150 a day (about the same as a day's supply) is about right. Doing it for nothing or £10 is an insult. In fact I would go as far as to say it is unprofessional to do it for free. It also devalues the profession.

Teacher's need to stop feeling they are working for some kind of charity. It's a job. If you want to do voluntary work there are many worthy causes out there that could make use of your time.

Anonymity, DonutBoy99, cissy3 and 3 others like this.
  12. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Were you paid?

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Or you could also show the school what is paid by the firms that are advertising for teachers to run their holiday sessions. . .

There is one called Justin something (no, not Beiber) just found it:

http://www.justincraig.ac.uk/

Find out what they would pay you . . . (use an e-mail with a different name, in case you then decide you actually want to apply to do them!)

Best wishes

Landofla and Compassman like this.
  14. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

Private tutors charge 3 to 5 times that rate in London. Outside London, would be 2-3 times. The quality and standard of tutors varies a lot as well :) Also if they run a group, they get paid more due to the number.

15. slstrong123

slstrong123 New commenter

Holidays are exactly that. You should not be expected or pressurised into offering revision sessions etc. It merely undermines effort and focus during lesson times if it us offered too freely (the pupils effort that is!).

Cleaners get paid more than 10 pounds an hour. Don't let SLT devalue your worth as a teacher.

Anonymity and Compassman like this.
  16. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

When in my school as Head of Year 11 I did arrange Easter revision sessions and half term ones and ran my own subject's. I am going back to pre 2008 and no one was paid. It was entirely voluntary though and staff only organised sessions if they thought it was worthwhile and it targeted the pupils it would most benefit and who would turn up.

I agree that £10 an hour is insulting - unless it is for supervising children colouring in! On reflection I do agree now that staff should be paid. The days of "staff goodwill" have clearly gone now - flicked away by uncaring HTs and SLTs.

Anonymity, JL48 and Compassman like this.
  17. FrankWolley

And several years of no or no real pay increases!

bobdrivesahgv and Anonymity like this.
  18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

How do you gauge it has an impact that is - "significant" even in the loose rather than statistical sense?

Can you imagine doctors or solicitors doing it?

Anyone working for free or for ten pounds per hour is running down the profession

Anonymity, cissy3, Landofla and 2 others like this.
  19. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I don't have an issue with £10 an hour really... I think getting £150 for what I presume is a five hour day is very generous.

Not suggesting unwarranted though.

20. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

We used to get £25 an hour for weekend sessions. After being told I was unprofessional one year because I couldn't do a session on a Sunday, I took my bat and ball home and have never done any since. Sundays are still paid, but holiday sessions are not.