1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offer of Employment

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mvoutsinas, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Dear Theo
    I would really appreciate your advice on this matter as I am starting to worry. If a position has been offered and accepted to start in September, is it common for the school not to contact you in regards to the contract, etc until closer to the start date. In my letter it specified to make arrangements to go in with my original docments and CRB before September. I made contact three times but have not had any response. Is that quite common. I know that staff are very busy at school particularly at this time of year with reports etc..
    Kind regards

2. I would ring them up. Yes, they are busy but schools always are. It's no excuse. You need to know where you stand.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hang on before you ring!
    Have you had a writtren offer in a letter, stating the salary, etc.? And you replied in writing accepting the post?
    In that case, no worries. This letter has contractual force, i.e. it is a contract between you and the school.
    The actual contract doesn't have to be given you until - wait for it - 8 weeks AFTER you start work. October half term more or less! That's Employment Law.
    Most schools and Local Authorities get it to you faster, but they don't need to.
    So if you have an offer letter, no need to go harassing the school asking about the contract.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. I was offered a post on 26th May and was asked to go in to the school on 6th June to fill in CRB, health questionaire, new starers forms and a couple of others, oh yeah and one with bank details so I get paid.
    I also filled in a P46 this time round as when I changed jobs between Christmas and January and changed authorities then too, I didn't get my P45 until Feb even though the last date of employment was 31st December! Also when I changed in August/September I didn't get a P45 until October, again last day of employment was 31st August. You would think they could generate a P45 to go out at the same time as the last wage slip [​IMG] But this only seems to be an issue of you change authorities, if you stay with the same authority it isn't a problem.
    I got my contract for last year's Sept post in June but that was because it was a maternity contract and they had changed the original date that was agreed at interview so this ended up being renegotiated. I received my present contract in December, about two weeks before I started (both different authorities). The authority I am moving to didn't issue any of my TA contracts until several weeks after I had started, and one person I used to work with received her contract a year after she started!
    I think the main thing is to make sure you have filled in all the paperwork, especially CRB checks. I have had to fill in one for each post this year. They said they would have accepted them if I had them done in the same authority but because I moved from XXXXshire to XXXX shire and now to a city LA it has to be a new one for each post. This always strikes me as a bit daft and a waste of money but I guess thems the rules :)

5. Thank you so so much for your reply and great news!!
    I replied via email stating that I was delighted and looked forward to working at the school. Is that enough or would I have had to write a formal letter? If so, should I do so now (would feel a bit embarrassed not to have sent it sooner though).
    The letter did not state the salary but I'm not too worried about that.. I just want the job!!

Kind regards
    Maria

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Golly!
    Why on earth would you have done that?
    I am assuming - perhaps incorrectly - that the school sent you a formal offer letter. If so, to reply informally by e-mail was just a tad discourteous, and also just a tad daft, as an e-mail has no signature so is not a legal acceptance.
    Er, no . . .
    Er, yes . . .
    Yes. Use the model I have now written out for you, but change it slightly: Further to my e-mail of 12 June, I again confirm that . . .
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!