1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Offal

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Mar 2, 2012.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Seeing the thread on food fashions has made me think about offal as it is making a bit of a comeback.
    Personally I love liver..............lambs or calves for eating (occasionally chicken), chicken or pigs for pate. Oh.....and I love fois gras *ducks.......no pun intended!*
    I also love kidneys either sauteed, devilled, on toast of my favourite, steak and kidney.
    Sweetbreads tick my boxes and I love *** and haggis, yet won't eat lights, heart or tripe on their own.
    My grandad's favourite was brains on toast but I really couldn't stomach that one (again, no pun intended). I'm also pretty positive I could not do pig's trotters, but tongue and oxtail is lovely!
    I have, however, eaten tripe in China, not knowing it was tripe, and it was delicious!
    What are others' views on offal?

2. BelleDuJour

F A G G O T S [​IMG]

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Pigs trotters! Delicious! With split peas....and/or sauerkraut
    Liver in just about any shape or form.
    Kidneys - on toast....with scrambled eggs....or with steak in a pudding.
    Oxtail...slowcooked to mouth-melting yumminess and served with semolina dumplings!
    And Ox tongue...mmmmmm....I remember seeing a jellied tongue in the butchers as a child and being gobsmacked at how huge it was!
    Haggis---love it - but never made one myself!
    Does blood sausage/blood pudding/black pudding count as offal? Scrummy!
    Heart - if cooked well is tasty!
    And my all-time favourite is the chicken offal and rice dish mum does so well! Rice cooked in chicken broth and served with shreds of liver, heart, slivers of meat from the neck....I could eat a big bowlful right now!

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Black pudding in the UK is now made mostly with imported, dried blood from Denmark and Holland. That's why it tastes so powdery and dull. I look forward to the black pudding of Normandy each summer; it reminds me of the black pudding of my chilhood in the UK.

5. BelleDuJour

Oh yes, forgot black pudding! [​IMG]

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Roast stuffed hearts are divine, I adore liver too. Cannot eat kidneys nor tripe nor trotters and certainly not sheep's eyes or heads.

7. I'm still working on it! Childish dislike of the thought of much of it still lingers.
    But I have liked what I have tried so far.

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I love all offal - the more I try, the more I like it. Shame I have an offal-phobic husband! Btw, I do like eyeballs when I can get my hands on them!

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Stuffed lambs' hearts are a lovely cheap treat, as long as you cook everything else in the oven too, of course. I've grown to love Chinese-style tripe, cooked in thin strips with star anise etc.

10. BelleDuJour

Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh [​IMG]
    I do not like my dinner looking at me! (unless it is whitebait!)

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

I love liver and kidney and sweetbreads are a rare treat.
    I don't like tripe (yes, I have had it).
    I've never had heart or brain. I think I would struggle with the consistence of the latter as I imagine it to be fairly sloppy.
    Head is OK ( brawn/tete de veau/coppa) but not my favourite as I dislike aspic. Similarly I don't care for trotter (oh, the hated Zampone at Uni in Italy! [​IMG]. I don't really like any jelly actually.
    I don't eat the eyes of fish (but they don't put me off) and I don't fancy eating eyes .... or testicles (but I think Imay have done so once unknowingly: if it <u>was</u> testicles I didn't like them!
    I don't like andouillette either, but G loves it and always orders it if we are in the right bit of France.

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

When I was growing up, it was a treat! Fish eyes are easy to get hold of when you have a whole fish but I can so rarely get others now that it is still something of a treat!

13. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I love lambs liver done in onion gravy with mash.
    Also like stuffed, roasted lambs hearts - sadly never had any that can touch my grandma's (and she died 25yrs ago) so feeling a bit deprived there - perhaps I should try again to replicate what she did.
    Love brawn melted over chips!! When I look at it I can't believe that I can eat it [​IMG]
    Dont like tripe but love pigs belly with lashings of salad cream and tasty sliced tomato.
    Adore black pudding.
    Can't stand kidneys but will have them if part of a steak & kidney pie.
    Think I'm a bit contrary really when it comes to offal.

14. veal sweetbreads are lovely, and I prefer pig liver to lamb's. Black pud is yum too, as are pig kidneys if cooked on the bone as part of a chop.

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Stuffed lamb's hearts are a real treat for us, absolutely gorgeous.

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

I love sweetbreads, both veal and lamb. Stuffed hearts are a pary of my childhood, though when it comes to stuffed lamb's breast I'm lazier than my grandmother and buy the ribs ready-bone.
    Black pudding? I really love it but find ti so hard to buy stuff that's not made with dired imported blood that I just look forwad to eating it in Normandy each year.
    The other evening we had chicken offal hotpot at our favourite local Chinese [Szechuan] restaurant. Horrible nubbly bits. Still, you've got to try.
    They're not offal but I love chicken feet.

17. BelleDuJour

Breast of lamb isn't offal! It's no more offal than spare ribs but it's jolly good.

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Oh I know that, dear Belle - I was just resonding to a previous post.
    Tongues probably aren't offal either - I dont know what the exact definition is.

19. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I think they probably come into the category of offal. Believe it ot not, I bought an ox tongue from a supermarket once, but this was a long time ago. It was massive, yet dirt cheap and would have fed a family for the best part of the week. It's a mystery what happens to tongues nowadays. I expect they get put into dog food so people are forced to buy the more expensive cuts of meat.

20. BelleDuJour

That got me thinking inky, because oxtail is often referred to as offal but IMO it is not.
    Here's what Wiki says:
    Offal /??f?l/,<sup id="cite_ref-0" class="reference">[1] also called, especially in the United States, variety meats or organ meats, refers to the internal organs and entrails of a butchered animal.
    So that still leaves tongue and trotters.