1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off work

Discussion in 'Personal' started by allenwater, Jun 23, 2011.

1. I am off work at the mo - fell down the stairs and broke my foot. Can't return until I get ok from fracture clinic next week.
    Am bored out of my skull!

2. Read a book, do/learn a craft/new skill/musical instrument,listen to the radio, watch Judge Judy (ITV2). I'd divvy my time up between reading, making cards, knitting, needlework and watching good,rubbish telly (noyt Jeremy Kyle)

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Oh you poor thing. [​IMG]
    Perhaps you could join a reading group?

4. OP - does it upset you that much? Grow some vertebrae.

cyolba, not giving up :)

5. 4OD.

That's all I want to say.

6. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

CK,I was reading this as your bra size,until I realised what you were saying!

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

So.... what was she saying?

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Got to agree, whilst a broken foot might be a slight problem, it's not something worth seeking great sympathy for.

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

4OD is Channel 4 on demand - watching what's been on TV through the internet.

10. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

It's shame you have broken your foot but i find it incredibly sad that you are so bored so quickly. Don't you have any hobbies etc that you rarely have time for, good films to watch, a garden to hobble around in some new computer thing to master .....

11. Is it terribly wrong that I am terribly jealous of the OP??!! How many days to the end of term...?! ;-)

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I agree. After nearly six weeks on my own after a replacement hip op I did get a bit lonely but I certainly wasn't bored too quickly.

13. Do a jigsaw! Works for me.

14. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Some quite snippish replies here.
    Try to remember that being off work is actually not that much fun if a) you're in pain and b) you can't go anywhere or do anything because of the pot on your foot. It does become very boring very quickly when you're stuck with the same old four walls every day.
    A broken foot isn't like having a terrible flu, when you just want to die quietly and peacefully on the sofa. It must be frustrating to not be able to do anything when you feel perfectly fit and well.
    That said, maybe now is the time to catch up on the reading you've been meaning to do. For me, I'd use the time to catch up on the exercise books that I've been hiding, unmarked, in my cupboard for months so that my HOD won't see them!

15. I would imagine that the OP is under 30 and has grown up in the instant gratification therefore instantly bored culture that most kids now seem to inhabit. Not that I'm casting aspersions, but in my day we were never bored, our minds were too inventive! It took us a whole holiday just thinking up names for all the carnivorous dinosaurs in our swamp.

cyolba, rose tinted everything :)

16. Ha!!

I love 4OD - they have programme archives going back yeeeeears, All you have to do is click on 'See all programmes in the wee black box - I watched that drama Any Human Heart last week, and I see they have Charlie Brooker's Dead Set on there too - here's a link - there are hundreds of quality programmes to choose from.
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od/all

17. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

It is why "Dave" channel exists.

18. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I broke my foot 7 weeks ago! Am going back to work on Monday. It sucks, doesn't it?! I have been going slightly mad at home it has to be said and tried going back to work in the middle- this was not a good idea!
    I've been writing reports this week but other than that, doing a lot of reading, online shopping (!) and painting. Chores such as cooking and cleaning were/are still tricky for me to do and anything that involves putting the weight on my foot for a long time is also bad. TV has been a saviour but more than anything, my lovely friends who have come to visit me. I live on the 4th flor with no stairs so getting anywhere has been rather difficult.
    I wish you a speedy recovery, please don't try and do things too soon, as I possibly have prolonged the time I have to wear my horrid air cast boot and good luck.

19. you could spend your time masturbating

mountaingoats......taking a leaf from cyolba!

20. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter