1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off work with stress and depression at the moment

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Groatcat, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Groatcat

Groatcat New commenter

currently off work having been signed off with stress related depression. Ultimately I need to find a new post but am concerned about applying for new jobs and having to put referees down from my current school. what is the best plan of attack here? Do I tell my school of my intentions? advice greatly appreciated

2. Groatcat

Groatcat New commenter

currently off work having been signed off with stress related depression. Ultimately I need to find a new post but am concerned about applying for new jobs and having to put referees down from my current school. what is the best plan of attack here? Do I tell my school of my intentions? advice greatly appreciated

3. Firstly, I do sympathise. Sorry you are feeling so rotten.
    My experience (not personal, someone I line managed) was that the union was extremely good at dealing with this. The person concerned was supported through a meeting with the head. They (teacher) made it clear they didn't feel they could return to that school and an arrangement was made to terminate the contract early. When the teacher applied for other posts a very fair reference was written.
    You can't apply without putting your current school as referee, it would ring major alarm bells. But it is your right to apply for other jobs.
    Get union advice and probably, depending on their advice, meet your HT.

4. Groatcat

Groatcat New commenter

Thanks, really useful and given me a boost knowing that you've taken the time to offer advice! Will speak to union tomorrow

5. How did you get on Groatcoat? Hope all is well.

6. Groatcat

Groatcat New commenter

Thanks for your best wishes, feeling a lot brighter. Spoke to my union and they basically advised me you have. I think the first step is to get back to work and go from there really. Thanks again for your help.

7. Good to hear you are feeling better. I used to be a union rep and honestly, I know the union subs can seem like a lot but they can be a lifeline in situations like this.

8. Groatcat

Groatcat New commenter

Can't agree enough, have only had to call on my union once before and that was re: theft of a mountain bike from work, for which they sent me a cheque towards a replacement