1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off work, can they make me do reports from home?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by d2148j, Feb 2, 2012.

1. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

HI all.

I'm still off work with prolasped disc. I have been asked by my HOD if I can do my reports from home. We do have the ability to log on to simms from home to do this although it has been a while since I've done it. I'm back at gp tomorrow to get sick note extended as physio doesn't want me back till after hafl term. Reports are due on Wednesday. I'm on codeine, haven't marked work etc, planned because of the drugs. Can't sit for long at computer. Can they make me do them?

Haven't replied to my HOD yet. Help. I have 3 classes to do, haven't been at work for 4 weeks. One is top set, two are bottom. Should I offer to try and do the top set= options etc or do I have to do all of them?

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

No, they cannot make you do them. However, it might be a sign of goodwill on your part to maybe give some input? You know the classes quite well, inspite of being absent recently, albeit for some time.
    I've been off with a fractured spine but could use a laptop from bed and communicated with school this way.

3. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

You don't have to do them; you are off work sick. Just apologise and say that you can't sit due to your back...if possible I'd get someone else to reply.
    I might add that if you did do it you might exacerbate your bad back and be off for longer, much longer...

4. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

Thansk all. i will message and say if i can manage to get logged on (doesn't always let you) I will try and do them. Will start with top set but that I can't make any promises that i'll get them finished or do all classes. I don't have laptop only desktop so it does mean having to sit at desk.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Don't do anything that is going to make your back worse. You do not HAVE to do anything.
    I'm sure parents will cope if the reporting is minimal this time - it partly depends on year group, subject etc, of course. The school ought to be able to put in something saying "due to illness, it is not possible to provide a full report at this point". If there's a tickbox element or levels, then maybe you can just provide that, and that might be better than flogging through trying to do the written bit and having to stop halfway.

6. This doesn't really answer your question but one of my colleagues ended up on maternity leave weeks before she'd expected to be and had intended to write the reports before she went. She offered to dictate them to someone to type up for her so school sent a member of admin staff to her house to do the typing. She is a primary school teacher though and felt strongly that she wanted to get them done, just didn't know how she would get them done in time.

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You are too sick to be in school- You are therefore too sick to undertake tasks relating to work of any kind. To add to that no school, unless they are paying for internet access, can insist that you 'log on' to undertake work related tasks from home or indeed have internet access at all.

8. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

What would they have done in the days before t'internet?