1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

off with stress - what happens next?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by thefootballwitch, Oct 25, 2019.

1. thefootballwitch

thefootballwitch New commenter

I am an absolute wreck and can't imagine going back to the school (or to teaching). I cant even process what to do - do i resign? or sign off sick? or both? if I sign off sick with stress, what happens next? how long can you be signed off for? does the school sack you if you're off for a long period? or is there some sort of negotiation? i am in a union but have no rep. I can't even start to think about what i will do afterwards.

2. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

You do have a union reP at regional level
    Ring the number on your membership card or info

3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I would make an appt with your GP for asap next week. Phone in sick; you can self certify for the first few days, but if your GP deems you unable to work they will sign you off. Don't worry about the long term yet.
    Also look on these guys website - lots of useful info: https://www.educationsupportpartnership.org.uk/helping-you

4. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Go to your GP, not work.
    Tell them how you are feeling.
    You can self-certify if you have to for a few days, but it would be better to get signed off with medical advice if it is stress.
    In theory, your employer than has to take note.

Depending on how long you have been working, and if you are under Burgundy Book, you are entitled to 100 days full pay, and 100 days half pay.

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

@thefootballwitch, so sorry that you're having such a tough time. I hope you've made an appointment with your GP. Tell them everything and I'm sure they will sign you off with WRS. They may prescribe medication - do take it. Once you have this in place, don't even think about school for a few weeks. Focus on taking care of yourself - your health and well-being are the most important thing. Rest, eat healthily, get outside in the fresh air and do things you enjoy, whether it's watching boxed sets or marathon swimming! Don't even consider resigning at the moment; you need to give yourself at least a few weeks to regain your strength and equilibrium before you begin to think about next steps.

lrw22 likes this.
  6. mfp2403

mfp2403 New commenter

Since almost being made redundant last year and my department being broken up and redistributed I’ve really struggled going in. I’m finding I’m ignoring things I need to do just to make it through day by day (hour by hour some days).
    I’ve considered asking my GP to sign me off but worry that I’ll go to them and they won’t or they’ll put me on medication that I want to avoid.