1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off with anxiety and depression

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by crazycatloveruk, Nov 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. crazycatloveruk

crazycatloveruk New commenter

Hi,
    I still cannot believe I am writing this but I have been signed off work with anxiety and depression. I'm coming to the end of my 2nd week now, I am now starting to sleep slightly better and have tried really hard not to think about work. I've been teaching for over 10 years and I just cannot understand it as I have never felt like this before. I have totally lost all my confidence in myself and do not feel that I can stand in front of my class and teach them at the moment. I just go into a blind panic everytime I think about it. It worries me as I thought I would be feeling better by now. I resisted resigning last week as I thought I'm not in the right mindset to make rash decisions. (This took a lot of will power and support from from family)
    I have sought help from my local well being support through the GP but that does not start until next week and I have also looked into a counsellor over the telephone.
    I am feeling really anxious about what this time off is going to look like on my sick record as I have never had time off before apart from the odd day. I used to love my job and I'm not really sure what has happened to me!

agathamorse and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

Hi,
    Sorry to hear that you are feeling this way at the moment.
    Firstly, acknowledging that you feel anxious and have symptoms of depression is very brave and insightful.
    That is not an easy thing to do, particularly when you feel that you have coped well in the past.
    However, your first priority is your own health and wellbeing. You need rest and seeking help from your GP is a step in the right direction. Family support is also important and it seems that you have that.
    I wish you well and I hope your health improves. Take care of yourself.

3. snugboro23

snugboro23 New commenter

Hi Crazycatlover,
    It seems like you are doing all the right things at the moment - plenty of rest, consulting your GP etc. Do you know hat sort of support will you be receiving?
    it may be that you need a longer break than you first thought, from the pressures of teaching. If you concentrate too much on trying to get better too quickly, it may make you more anxious. I would take as much time as you need, whatever the situation at work. At some point it may be in your bet interests to resign but it may be months before you know for sure if it's best for you. Your health is the most important thing here. Good luck with getting better -
    :)Best wishes, Snugboro23

4. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Hi! I was in your situation 6 years ago and have now come out the other side and am in a teaching job where I'm much happier. I was off for 3 months with anxiety and depression. Did it make a difference to my records or how I was viewed? Absolutely not! Teaching is the 3rd most stressful job! Since going back to teaching, I was very surprised how common my experience was not just from the good people on tes but from people who I now work with. Please don't worry about this anymore and concentrate on doing what you need to do to take care of yourself!

Good luck!

5. crazycatloveruk

crazycatloveruk New commenter

Thank you for your kind replies.
    I am with the Dr tomorrow for my review. I'm hoping it does not take me too long to get back to myself. I have tried to plan some gentle social things to do eg. Go round a friends or go to the theatre but then I also get anxious about this thinking I am off sick, should I be going out, but most of my anxiety is work based so doing other things helps put my mind at ease for a couple of hours at least.
    At the moment I just feel like I cannot be in charge and responsible for my class, I teach young children as well so without that enthusiasm and energy I'm useless!
    I'm not sure what sort of support I am going to get from the well being team, I think the first phone call is to help build a support plan for me based on my situation.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I'm in pretty much the situation after nearly 25 years. You should have a look at workplace dilemmas it seems we might be in the majority any time soon. All seems very strange. Still, the garden's getting a good going over. I'd ordered some plants to be delivered to school, realise I'm not myself when just an email to say your plants are here makes me innards do flip flops. Look after yourself.

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

very very very common situation. Don't hurry back, its taken ten years to grind you down to this point, its not going to be reversible in 2 weeks!

You'll get there.
    The important thing is to recognise that you are having a completely normal reaction to a completely inhumane set of working conditions, and that you can learn from this, never to allow anyone to put you under that sort of pressure again.

lots of love.

8. FlyingFoxBat

FlyingFoxBat New commenter

You need to look after yourself and take the time you need to get better. Spending time with friends and doing things you enjoy are part of this self care and the healing process, so you don't need to feel guilty or like you're 'skiving.' Frankly, after years of hard work and dedication- plus the fact that your job has made you ill- means that you're owed as much time and support as you need to recover. Good luck X.

9. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

My sympathies.

I am in the same situation signed off a few weeks ago. Finding it really hard, cannot sleep and am exhausted all the time, constantly worrying/on edge. Not been able to do any gardening or anything else either really. Lost nearly 3 stone in a 6 or so weeks (I was fat though!)

Really not coping at the moment. Talking to a counsellor tomorrow.

10. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I’m not liking posts where people are having a bad time, they are ‘sympathy likes.’ I am also signed off for WRS. This whole situation seems so surreal (like a bad dream) at the moment.

11. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

It is OK. Try to be kind to yourself. we aren't machines or robots. We have ups and down. This is the normal cycle of life. Sometimes we have rubbish bosses or rubbish management in schools. Sometimes it really is them and not you!! Could you take a holiday abroad away from it all to see the "bigger picture"? The world is a really big place and we forget this......

Re-evaluate things. See how you can make it better? small things. I have been to classrooms where teachers have put plants and flowers, changed the feel of the place etc... is there anything you can do to make yourself feel better?