1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off topic. Changing to p/t contract

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by toeinwater, May 5, 2012.

1. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Sorry for posting here, but I feel you're all my 'friends' and this area gets a lot more traffic than most.
    I wondered if anyone in their teaching career has approached school to go p/t, but not as a direct result of having children, e.g. not on return from mat leave but as a lifestyle change?
    The reason I ask is that I'm considering jacking it all in, but wondered if there's any chance the HT would entertain the possibility of me going p/t. The hours through term time are not conducive to ttc and with ivf a liklihood I would like to have the opportunity for more rest other than at the weekends.
    I'm guessing the answer is 'you can ask' and that it's down to the individual head. I'm pretty sure mine won't go for it, but if I'm going to broach the topic, it needs to be done far enough ahead of 31st May for it to be looked into, on the offchance that it's not an outright 'no'.
    Thanks!

2. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Sorry for posting here, but I feel you're all my 'friends' and this area gets a lot more traffic than most.
    I wondered if anyone in their teaching career has approached school to go p/t, but not as a direct result of having children, e.g. not on return from mat leave but as a lifestyle change?
    The reason I ask is that I'm considering jacking it all in, but wondered if there's any chance the HT would entertain the possibility of me going p/t. The hours through term time are not conducive to ttc and with ivf a liklihood I would like to have the opportunity for more rest other than at the weekends.
    I'm guessing the answer is 'you can ask' and that it's down to the individual head. I'm pretty sure mine won't go for it, but if I'm going to broach the topic, it needs to be done far enough ahead of 31st May for it to be looked into, on the offchance that it's not an outright 'no'.
    Thanks!

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Are you primary or secondary?
    I work 0.5, but it is a result of having children, and it was hard to get! I had to say I was going to appeal when my request was declined to begin with, and then fortunately my head agreed to it.
    I know people who have applied and have been turned down, but from people I know it seems more likely that secondary teachers are allowed to go part time.
    A lady I work with is part time, 0.6, as she's approaching retirement.
    If you do start IVF, is your head someone you feel you can talk to about it? And would they be understanding?
    I would say apply for part time, but it all depends on your head, the budget, your subject, your school etc.

4. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Primary
    Hmm, let me see... NO and NO! And we've had a 'run' of babies over the last little while resulting in several teachers now working p/t.
    Right, well I'll give it some thought and see whether there's any point in even contemplating asking. I had hoped to leave on good terms anyway, in the hope that I could pick up some supply there. Whilst I have said I couldn't talk to the h/t about ivf, I had thought I'd possibly mention it as part of my reason for leaving anyway. Thanks Chicca
    I'd really love to hear from anyone who went p/t but not because of their children.

5. ITA76

ITA76 New commenter

I am now part time - just couldnt keep doing the crazy hours and TTC. Im not pregnant and am not stressed!

6. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Thanks ITA. Did you go p/t at the school you were already at? If so, did you give any reason?

7. ITA76

ITA76 New commenter

No. I left my job and did supply and then found a part time job...........my school wouldnt have let me do it!