1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off to uni...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lalad, Sep 19, 2019.

1. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Lol! We had similar when my parents dropped me off at the start of Year 2 at my shared Coronation St house in Salford. My parents had grown up living in Eastend slums in the late 1920s right through to the mid 1960s when escape came through the slum clearance programme, so they were hardened to hard times. However, my mum in particular was utterly shocked at the squalor I was about to start living in. I had to assure her I’d start cleaning the place as soon as they had departed.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I would get migraines like that at uni too. Could never identify the trigger, but they always came after a session of heavy drinking. I think it might have been the aftershave of one of my team mates :rolleyes:

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

My parents left my trunk at my uni a week before I started - there was a trunk room they were able to leave it in. I don't think they ever transported me. Virtually everyone else was dropped off by parents the first term - I'd unpacked everything by the time anyone else had managed to get rid of parents. That was the late '80s. My siblings were (almost?) always taken backwards and forwards, but it was a less easy journey (and fewer siblings at home to consider).

4. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Eldest’s experience of halls last year was exactly as you describe @Shedman. The bathroom was so grim it made my stomach churn. Everything I had bought (sandwich toaster, glasses, plates etc) was either broken or taken by other people within days. That’s why my mum has been scouring the charity shops and jumble sales to kit eldest out for their shared house. I’m going to visit at the end of the month...it will be interesting to see!
    I did visit last year but every time I made the 3-4 hour trip and paid for a hotel, I would be told ‘I’ll come for dinner with you but can’t be long as I’ve got a party tonight, hope you don’t mind!’

5. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

My father delivered me and collected me from university each year with ever-increasing sarcasm: at the end of my third year, he found a articulated lorry from somewhere and reversed it down the residential street at 6am - I woke to an automated voice announcing “Attention! This vehicle is reversing!” on repeat. The elderly and confused neighbour next door thought it was the council come to collect her broken washing machine, so he loaded that on as well!

6. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Did you enjoy it? I thought it was a great place to spend three years and didn't mind it being a bit remote!

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I did a distance learning course at Aber - used to go a couple of times a a year.

I really liked it - but then I grew up by the seaside.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

The son of the local butcher was also going to the same uni as me, so his dad took us both up to Newcastle in his army truck. This was 1973. I had one massive suitcase that I could barely lift.
    In my second year, I shared a big Edwardian semi with a group of girls. I got there last, and was given the freezing tiny attic bedroom. It was probably the servant's quarters. Ice on the inside of the skylight.

I can't bear to recount the many stressful times that we moved Miss Dunty in and out of lodgings. It's still going on...

The absolute worst was on her graduation day when we were conned into helping her do a moonlight (but daytime) flit.
    Have never got over it.

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My mother burst into tears when she saw the complete *hithole my brother lived in for his third year in London. Good job she never saw my second year house. Multicoloured moulds, fungi and mildew, and when the cellar flooded, all the wallpaper fell off the wall.

My kids' accommodation was palatial in comparison. Central heating, shower rooms, washing machines...

agathamorse likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I paid the princely sum of £7 a week for the dump I lived in for my second year.

But as someone on a minimum grant who received little or no extra support that was all I could afford.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. frustum

frustum Star commenter

One of the Cambridge colleges hit on a bright idea. They have a "parents' dinner" one of the October half-term weekends, to which freshers can invite their parents. Parents can check that they've settled in okay (and bring the things they forgot), be impressed by the college, and students aren't missing out on going out with their new mates because lots of them are at the dinner as well.

1 person likes this.
  12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Yes. It had a thriving Rag Week that lots of us got involved in and raised far more money for charity than much bigger universities did. I went there initially to study Welsh as a third MFL in my first year but opted for Italian instead on arrival.
    I went back again about three years ago and felt quite nostalgic.

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My 3rd year flat was above a shop and had been a warehouse. There was a large wooden door on the first floor gable end with a pulley contraption thing above it from warehouse days but inside it had only been wallpapered over. When the sun shone you could see stripes of light down the "wall". My bedroom was in the loft under the slates and we used to get dressed to go to bed inc. hats. We toasted bread at the gas fire and dried our underwear there too, hanging socks and knickers on the metal bars in front of the jets. My flatmate also set it on fire in the powercuts (1972) and the landlord got it redecorated on the insurance. For years I had smoke damaged books and records. All our clothes got drycleaned on the insurance too.
    Having lived through 1972 - why do we worry about the current fiasco.

agathamorse and smoothnewt like this.