1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off to uni...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lalad, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I just wrote a long reply and it vanished. It wasnt "aimed" at anyone, mothorchid. Just an observation. No-one I knew in 1976 was driven to uni. We all got the train. Probably fortunate in regard to public transport. .

mothorchid likes this.
  2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I did wonder if we were talking about different eras, @Aquamarina1234. Sorry if I was touchy.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

My parents took me (and a trunk!) to Aberystwyth in the early 80s - but my dad's aunt lived near Builth Wells so they combined it with a trip to see her. Most of the other students seemed to have been brought by their parents - they didn't hang about though.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

When I left Bristol University in 1985 I had too much stuff to bring home so I did something I'd never done before (or since) - I asked Dad to drive down from Yorkshire to come and get me.

Dad doesn't like driving to places he doesn't know (he never did) and I wasn't sure he'd agree - if he hadn't I'd just have dumped a lot of stuff and come back, but he did.

He moaned all the way back - still moans about it occasionally.

Six months later I went t0 Canada.

5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

My parents drove me to London and combined the trip with a visit to see my brother . They came and picked me up at the end of hte three years too. I was very grateful.

6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I was at university in 1976. Remember the hot summer? Most, but not all, of my friends were transported there and back by parents at least at the beginning and end of the year. We could store a certain amount of stuff over the holidays. Travelled by train in between those times.

7. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

We transported both of ours to university because they were both expected to bring their own kitchen equipment and there was no way they could carry all that stuff.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My daughter managed the not inconsiderable feat of losing just about all the crockery and cooking utensils we bought her for university within a few months of her getting there.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In my second year at Poly I moved into a large terraced house in January which had only one ageing gas fire in the front room and no other heating. The gas fire had not been run over the Christmas break.

My parents drove me there with my stuff, and as I opened the front door my Mum took one whiff of the freezing damp smell wafting down the hall and refused to enter the building. She went back to the car and demanded that my dad drive her home as soon as my last bag was out of the boot. She later told me the smell reminded her of the cellar she used to hide in as a child during WW2 air raids.

We never did get the place warm or properly dry before we graduated. When the fridge broke down the landlord only believed us when we used a thermometer to show him that the inside of the fridge was warmer than the kitchen. That scene in The Young Ones where Rik opens the fridge door to warm his hands has always made me laugh, for good reason.

10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I remember getting a book grant of £30 a month before I started my first term at Uni. Whether was in addition to, and sub of, my grant I do not know.

I only had to move from Slough to UCL. I moved in a few trips with the panniers of my motorbike stuffed, and a suitcase precariously bungeed on the rack behind the pillion seat.

I started at Uni the year after the Oil Crisis. After a couple of weeks, the decrepit house in which we were living (called by the 'accommodations office', a 'student annex') started reeking of petrol. This was due, we found, to one of the students on the floor below removing the petrol tank from his motorbike and storing it in his room, to prevent his precious petrol (well, it was over 60p a gallon!) being stolen.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    BertieBassett2 likes this.
  11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I took ours because I could drive by then. One was 45 miles away and t'other 235 but back to The Land Of My Father so made a nice family visitation.

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I had a trunk too. British Rail transported it for a small fee if you bought a rail ticket to the destination. They collected it from your house a few days before your departure and stored it at your destination station. When you arrived, you went straight to the storage office to let them know that they could deliver it to your new accommodation and it usually arrived the next day. I travelled with one suitcase.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Aberystwyth was where I went too. I graduated in 1977.

Lalad likes this.
  14. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Re expensive rail fares ...
    I read a few years ago about a student at Leeds Uni who wanted to go home to London at Xmas, but was staggered when he saw the price of a train ticket.
    So he took an early morning Ryanair flight to Berlin, spent the day sightseeing, then took another Ryanair flight from Berlin to London in the evening. All that for less than half of the train fare.

15. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I was surprised how emotional I got when I drove my lad to uni. Dropped off his luggage , had a wee look round and then a big hug and I left him to it. I was not surprised at how emotional I got when I attended his graduation this summer. There were tears and hugs. My boy was unquestionably a man.
    Sniff!

smoothnewt likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I really enjoyed my Daughter's graduation ceremony a couple of years ago. It was so different to my own.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I would never have dared show my parents the place I lived in for my second year at University - I didn't show anyone else either.

smoothnewt likes this.
  18. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

To Jubilee

I also remember using BR to transport the trunk down to the West Midlands from the Grim North. The trunk is still in my loft.

Nobody mentioned students use to hitch lifts on an incomplete motorway network. Happy times going up and down the M6. Not recommended for todays students !!!

19. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

We drove daughter to uni at beginning of each term, because of the amount of luggage. It was too expensive to keep her room on through the holidays and we didn't discover that she could've stored her stuff somewhere (free of charge) in the holidays until her first year was over! She travelled by coach if she came home during the term.
    These were pre mobile phone and email days, so you had to 'make an appointment' for a weekly phone call! Don't know how we'd all cope with that with our kids nowadays.

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I think my parents drove me up in '73. Thereafter it was train. Until I dropped out in 1974 and they drove me back. Unless they didn't. I had sod all in the way of belongings.

Only my elder daughter went to uni and she went to the one where she lived. And then she got pregnant after a few months and that was the end of that! Bit of a damp squib. Like my own first experience.

BertieBassett2 likes this.