1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off to uni...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lalad, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

My nephew in Liverpool is being picked up by his dad at 10 this morning to go off to university in Newcastle.

At 11:15 last night, my sister phoned to say he wasn't home yet and she couldn't contact him as his phone was dead - had a text 20 minutes later to say he had just got back from a night out in Manchester.

He hadn't packed a thing and said he would get up early this morning and sort it all!

Still, at least he's not stressing about ito_O:)

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Sounds familiar.:)

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The only time my son voluntarily got up before noon these last holidays was on the day he went back to university, because he hadn't packed. I can't fault him though. He was ready to go at the agreed time.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Sounds like a boy thing.

smoothnewt likes this.
  5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

My parents once came to fetch me from uni at the end of term, after a three hour drive, bless them. I had done no packing, because I was prostrate with an apalling migraine and when I could get up, it was only to rush to the loo and vomit. My Mum packed all my stuff and then they packed the car and drove me home where I went to bed. I can remember nothing of the journey at all; I may have slept. The next day I was washed out but fine. They were understandably exhausted.
    So the Deliberate Not-Packing may be a boy thing, but the Non-Deliberate Not-Packing happens to girls too.

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Maybe I got lucky, She could come in at 05:30 and be up by 9:00,

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Our Daughter has many talents but organization (on a personal level at least) has never been her strong suit.

She was really excited about going to University a few years ago but other than packing a few clothes didn't really do much else.

So we spent ages getting her stuff we thought she would need and made sure that we took her on the day and stayed until she had at least moved everything into her room.

Five years on - she's got a job she loves and is very good at - but she's still pretty hopeless when it comes to organizing herself.

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

When I was working and leading residential trips to France, we implemented an army-style stand-by-your- beds room inspection every morning.

This was on account of it being a boys’ school, and us being fully aware that if we didn’t the rooms would be an utter pigsty by day three, clothing would be lost for good and there would be accusations of wallet-theft - where said wallets would emerge from under piles of clothes and other belongings on the last day when they packed to go home.

My own two girls, now well into their twenties, have always been totally responsible with regards to personal organisation, thank goodness!

emerald52 and LondonCanary like this.
  9. smoothnewt

I should add that we did inject an element of fun into the room inspections: totally over the top expectations, such as the toilet roll being tucked over at the end - hotel standards. But all those who passed muster were given raffle tickets for the prize draws we used to have on the coach on the way home.

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Is this taking of children to university a snowflake generation thing? I was never taken to or from university by my parents, and I don't remember any of my year being chauffeured like that. We got the train, and had to carry everything in a couple of large suitcases.

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Our other children did a mixture of being taken and getting themselves there, but the youngest had his cello and couldn't physically carry it and his stuff as well, plus taking a cello on a train is a nightmare. My mum and dad mostly took me in the car, as did nearly all my contemporaries' parents thirty-plus years ago.

12. smoothnewt

Certainly my parents drove me from London to Manchester in the family Mini back in 1977, with my few worldly goods strapped to the roof rack.
    However, I did get myself to France and Italy and back for my year abroad - overland, as air travel was prohibitively expensive back then.

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We did the delivering things all those years ago, taking it in turns to drive and cry on the way home.

14. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

My parents took me to University in the late 1970s (try moving the record player and large speakers on a train? Plus some sports gear!) We took our two to Uni by car in this century... Cheaper as well as easier for all concerned!

15. mothorchid

I think my parents took me because the journey would have been hugely expensive and then there would have been a very lengthy taxi ride at the other end, because there wasn't a train station or coach station anywhere near the college. I had made my own way across Europe in my gap year (before Uni) by train, for a work placement of six months, so I don't think it was to do with the amount of luggage. But I am so old now that I can't actually remember...:(

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If my parents had been able to drive, I'm still not sure they'd have made a 500 mile round trip when a perfectly decent train was available, paid for by the LA as travelling expenses, on top of the grant and book allowance.

17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I hated university, It wasn't the studying or lectures, it was the other students. I was 25 when I went to university as a mature student so that might have had something to do with it. Here are some of the things that pee'd me off:
    • Dirty plates, cups, pans left in the kitchen
    • food stolen from the communal fridge/lockers
    • damage to personal items
    • noise throughout the night
    • classmates wanting to borrow lecture notes because they can't be bothered to get out of bed and go to the lectures
    • vomit in the shower and toilet
    • toilets left in a disgusting state
    • overflowing rubbish bins
    • theft
    • continual requests to borrow money and lies about having paid it back
    • selfishness
    • loutishness
    • lazy lab partners who do nothing but still want the results
    Mind you, this was all forty years ago so perhaps in these days of student fees things may have changed. Have they?

1 person likes this.
  18. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

I had a trunk which was sent by road at the start and end of terms. All good until the haulage company went on strike and held on to it for weeks!

19. mothorchid

Hmmm. I have a feeling this is aimed at my post 15.
    I didn't have a "perfectly decent train". It didn't reach the university town, by miles. There was no travelling expenses grant (I've not heard of that one before.) And I certainly never got a book allowance - and as a Literature student who had to buy up to twenty-five books a term I'd have been happy to get one! But grants etc have changed so much and so often that it may have existed inthe years before or after I went to uni.
    But I am hijacking the thread, which is not about grant changes or whether parents should or should not transport their offspring to uni. Sorry.

20. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

I once carried an exercise bike plus luggage over the bridge at Crewe station after the Xmas hols. Had to go back and forth. Could've cried it was such hard work. That was just changing trains. I can't remember getting from New St back to the house. It would've been on a bus though. Ah, to be young again...

smoothnewt likes this.