1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off to Solihull. I may be some time.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Nov 30, 2018.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'll go after the rush hour has calmed down a bit and then hit Lakeland and John Lewis for a start but might also go in search of Dunelm and Next home. Just going on my own so the driving is a bit of a pain - I like being driven around, but the ability to really shop, that is look at everything and then go back and buy, without having to cajole a toddler(aged 69) to go into just one more shop, will be fun.

See you on the other side.

agathamorse, Jamvic, InkyP and 2 others like this.
  2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Good luck!
    I have to do a surgical strike when Mr Dunty is with me. I much prefer shopping on my own.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Wow 69 year old toddler?

My first job was teaching maths in Solihull . Tougher than I might have thought at the time.

agathamorse and lindenlea like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We live in Solihull and try to avoid going there as much as possible, we prefer Redditch. OK they don't have a John Lewis but who can afford their prices anyway? Currently woking in a Solihull school. Don't forget that not all of Solihull is leafy borough. There is the part that we inherited from Birmingham called Chelmsley Wood or as it is known now 'The North of the Borough'!

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Dunelm is in Mell square. Actually not a bad store apart from the parking. If you can get a space in Morrisons I think it is 90 minutes free.

lindenlea likes this.
  6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Don't forget the mince pies.

lindenlea likes this.
  7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I was born in olton. so I'm a true silhilian. Used to drink in the Mason's Arms as a teenager. Solihull had the heart knocked out of it high street in the 70s. It used to be quite pretty. Does Burton park still have flamingoes?

lindenlea likes this.
  8. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Brueton Park has ducks, swans and geese but I don't remember seeing flamingoes ever! I lived there for many years, including teaching in the South of the borough. You were always safe in the North of the borough until around midday as no one got out of bed til then!!! I jest not!
    Agree about shopping at Redditch. And about 'mooching' alone! Much easier!

9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D This is me exactly.

Definitely. Shopping with any combination of my male dominated family is an experience I would wish only on certain members of my previous SLT bods (who thoroughly deserve a day in hell). Oh for a daughter, sigh. :(

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@blazer As someone who grew up in Castle Bromwich I remember when Chelmsley Wood was a wood!
    That's like when they talk about South Manchester and mean Wythenshawe.
    Had a good walk about and bought two things and made some other decisions. John Lewis staff kept saying it was busy but I thought it was just OK. House of Fraser looked a bit sad. it must be on the hit list. Got a brilliant parking spot.

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Brueton park did last time I checked

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There is s separate enclosure with a pool where they keep the exotic birds.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

On the rare occassions we venture into Solihull we park at the leasure centre. 4 hours for free. It is a 10 minute walk into the town centre from there. If we do buy something bulky then Mrs B stands with it by Mell square and i get the car and pick her and it up,

14. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I've just noticed that my mispelling of brueton [leaving out the e] has been spell-checked into burton.

There really were flamingoes theer, in that lovely secret area round the back. Maybe there still are.

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Is it me or are these forums mainly occupied by Northerners?

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Solihull is not Northern. It's bang in the middle of the lovely Midlands. Maybe the reference to Wythenshawe threw you olds.

17. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

It’s you.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I went to Ikea this morning. It was inexplicably full of families buying kitchens.

19. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I like going to Solihull. It gives me an excuse to catch a train from Moor Street.

20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@lardylady I'm fond of Moor Street. I can pretend I'm Celia Johnson.

lardylady likes this.