1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off to prepare for the Midwives

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I need to make a drink and get sitting comfortably before they begin.

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Already there

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Have you got the tissues handy, monica?

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Oh, should I have? Have you seen the spoilers?

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

No. But I'm sure there will be weepy bits.;)

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Lots of boiling water and clean towels?

7. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I only caught up with this last year. I do like a nice gentle drama on a Sunday (oh why oh why can't Kingdom have a comeback).
    However, at this time of year it's American Football. It's still weepy...KlutzontheSofa's team, Seattle, are getting a real roasting!

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Endeavour.

9. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

It was just as good as always (sniff, sniff!)

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I feel the need to complain about this thread on the basis of the implied sexism it contains. The term that ought to be used now is mid-person.

Referring to a role as a midwife is an affront to all of us who have worked for gender equality, since the equivalent term for a man would be mid-husband, a post that has never been advertised.

Midwife should, in my opinion, only be used these days, for those poor divorced souls, eager to endure the misery of marriage once again.

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The first babies with phocomelia being born after their mothers were prescribed the terrible drug thalidomide.

12. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

One of my best friends at school was affected by thalidomide and, thankfully, it was not something that she was treated badly by other pupils for. It was only by the grace of God that I wasn't affected as my mother had it for morning sickness.

I thought that was a good episode of Midwives.

Lascarina likes this.
  13. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I've just watched it - yes, tissues required. :(

I know Jenny's family (the midwife who wrote the books the series is based on) - in fact was talking to her husband last night :)

14. marlin

marlin Star commenter

So it obviously didn't affect everyone that took the drug. I didn't know that.

15. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Mum said she only needed it for a week or so before the sickness wore off. There was a time where the docs thought I might have a slightly affected hands, my little fingers are very short, but I think they just left it after a while.

16. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Very good episode.

Distillers still haven't paid out properly to those affected. It's an absolute scandal.

Lascarina likes this.
  17. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I miss Heartbeat...it was only an hour long but it made Sunday night seem to drag on forever.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

It is an appalling scandal. And in Spain where thalidomide went on being prescribed after it was recalled the victims have received no compensation at all.

19. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

A friend's son had a horrendous skin condition and he was prescribed thalidomide and it worked wonders It's still produced but, obviously, not given to women of child bearing age.

20. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Did you know that thalidomide was made by ex-Nazi scientists and prescribed before any clinical trials had been undertaken? There's an interesting article on it in this Saturday's Telegraph magazine.

Lascarina likes this.