1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off to have a gawp at Henry's crown.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Hampton Court Palace has reduced entrance fees till next week so I can get in for £7. Am off shortly to make the best of the opportunity.

InkyP likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ooh, have a good time. I wouldn't mind that little jaunt myself. Except it's a bit far.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

it's not far GDW and we had a lovely day when we went from Warks.Very interesting and a great tea room, not too dear we thought.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Must book my flight to take advantage of the saving.

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The crown is a replica made by the Queen's jeweller in 2011 in gilded silver set with freshwater pearls, real rubies and sapphires and crystal chip diamonds. It weighs 3 and a half pounds so is lighter than the original but even so I reckon it would give you a fair headache if you had to wear it. 'Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown', as Shaky said.

The kitchens are splendid with whole peacocks on platters, vats of casserole with genuine bubbling sound accompaniment and the most beguiling, neat, fat meat pies in glazed plaster pastry. There was a blazing log fire which must be a boon to the volunteer there to warm her bum by because it's parky inside those stone walls.

The chapel royal is magnificent with its star studded ceiling, as is the great hall with its tapestries and stained glass windows.

My favourite bits are the palace chimneys

@racroesus they did tell me that I could buy a pass with free entry for 15 months to 6 palaces, one of which is in N Ireland and begins with 'H' though I can't remember its name. I bought the ticket for £30 so hope to get to it next time I am there.:)

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Lascarina likes this.
  8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That's the one, rac!

racroesus likes this.
  9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I love Hampton Court Palace :)
    Yes, the replica crown is an impressive piece of craftsmanship, is it still in that bit of the Chapel near the Royal Pew?
    I used to like the area near Wolsey's Cabinet but they changed it a few years ago and it's not quite as interesting. My favourite thing to do is potter around the little alleyways near the kitchens where the grace and favour accommodation used to be as I try to imagine what it would have been like when a long-dead relative used to live there.
    Glad you had a nice time there.

Lascarina likes this.
  10. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Look out for the copper pans in the kitchens.My husband's grandma worked as a scullery maid there and had to get up at 5 am every day to polish them.

Lascarina likes this.
  11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Enjoy! I love how you get about so much. Way more than I ever do.

Lascarina likes this.
  12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

You work and have a husband and a young child. I can do as I please.There is so much to see and do and time does run out!