1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off to Doha in August - 2010 version!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by andyfun, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Thanks a lot TD you have been absolutely wonderful. I am starting to feel a lot better after reading your replies. Just one more question, when I was told about my interview time and date, I was asked to bring my references along. Does this mean that they don't contact the referees themselves? I rang one of my referees and asked her whether she had been asked for references and she has said that no one has contacted her. It just seems really odd to me but is this the normal thing for International jobs? Thanks
    p.s. I have only just started to use this site and wasn't quite sure what PM means. Sorry!!

2. tyler durden

tyler durden New commenter

In my experience the school will contact your references. There are some people who collect references or letters of reccomendation when they leave a particular post. I believe that this occurs more commonly in the US.

So yes, it is odd.

PM = private message.

3. lolstiny

lolstiny New commenter

Hi I have just been offered a job in an international school in Doha starting august 2010. However I have been reading many not so positive comments on the school and really don't know what to do now! I was hoping someone could possibly tell me a bit more about the standards of the schools, what life is like there, experiences from anybody else?
    Thanks

4. Hi I currently work at an English speaking school in Doha and have been since Sept 2009. The standards of schools in Qatar vary greatly and make sure you speak to people that actually work in the school for a true representation of what its like. Many schools are not run like they are in Britain and it will take a while to get used to the way they work. What is the name of the school that you have been offered a job in? My principal was away doing interviews last week. it may be for my school!!!

5. If you PM people on here im sure they would be glad to help out advice wise, on schools, doha in general, what to pack and not to pack etc etc.
    I know for sure that myself and tyler durden will be glad to offer any advice we can, as we were in the same boat 12 months ago!!

6. As a teacher, these comments are all very helpful.
    As a parent, I know many schools are over-subscribed. Can anyone make recommendations as a parent. I know we are all supposed to have our children in the same school as us.
    Thanks.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I would make only one recommendation and it is www.qatarliving.com and therein one may find lots of information about the schools in Doha. The good ones are over-subscribed and they probably will not even have places on the waiting list. The bad ones are very bad. So, there you are! All that anyone could possibly want to know about education in Qatar in a nutshell!

8. My husband & I are also going to Qatar in August. I wrote a post but entered it under the wrong forum heading!! It has gone in under Lifestyle/welcome --whoops ! Will you be leaving from the UK? We are in N' Devon. Will you be going alone or do you have family? Is this your first overseas posting? We're experienced on the Int' circuit, but are as enthusiastic about this job as we were on our first post overseas.I'm sure this experience will be great for all of us.

9. the hippo

I am not sure whether to answer these questions, hereigoagain, because I am not sure whether they were directed to me or to someone else. Perhaps you might like to send me a PM.

10. the hippo

To answer kuwaitmagic's question, I would say that no, you are not supposed to name specific schools on this forum. If you do, those sweet and kindly moderators delete the whole thread.
    Of course, you could join the International Schools' Review or else you could have a good, long look at www.qatarliving.com and there you will find many comments, written mostly by parents, about over-subscribed schools in Qatar, long waiting lists, pointless entrance procedures, high school fees, as well as school secretaries who do not reply to telephone calls, who ignore e-mails and who do not answer messages delivered by carrier pigeon. And there is always the dreadful Doha traffic. Enjoy!

11. BondStreetBabe

BondStreetBabe New commenter

Looking ahead...how are things working out in 'England's capital'? I know from these threads that there is a huge variation between the good, bad and downright ugly schools in Qatar. So where does this one fit in right now?

12. the hippo

So which one are you talking about, BondStreetBabe? On the other hand, maybe you should not tell us, as then the moderators will have an excuse for deleting the whole thread.
    And the Doha traffic is still as bad as ever. No, they have not finished work on that awful intersection on the road that goes to Villaggio.

13. BondStreetBabe

"London bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down"...
    Or maybe it's being repaired even as we speak...?

14. BondStreetBabe

Anything at all?

15. Hi,

I am off to Doha in August too. I am scared by some of the reviews but is also delighted by others. I have taught here for 5 years and dispite the availability of resources (which everyone seems to complaint that Doha is lacking) and great level of organization. it is challenging with behaviour issues and demotivated kids who are too spoon feed to bother. and not to mention the politics. i believe that where ever you are in the world there will be good and bad things about the location and we will never be abled to change the fact that teachers are overworked and underpaid. a place might not work for one person it doesnt mean it wont work for someone else. so be honest but dont be so negative as you could be putting off someone from achieving a dream and i am sure that a mist the negative htere was somwthing positive.

i am just trying to remain open minded and make the most of the opportunity as nothing is for every as if you dont like it then just move on. I am sure people have bad things to say about there experiences in UK schools, even though we would want to think are what schools in other countries to strive to be.

i am remaining open minded and prepare myself for a challenge but is also preparijng to embrace the fun.