1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off to Doha August 2011

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jam_masters, Jun 29, 2011.

1. We are moving to Doha in August as a family. Very excited/anxious....anyone else in the same situation??

2. Hello, yes we are, its a return visit for us we were there a few years ago, great place! If you have any questions just PM me.

3. Hi, we just got back from there. Very nice place especially if you have family and children. There are also a lot of expats (more than the actually Qatris working there). It also depends on the school you will be working for. I worked for Doha College and they took care of everything, literally. It will be EXTREMELY hot and because it is Ramadan, you will not be allowed to eat or drink in public places (anywhere outdoors) during day light ours but having said that people are very friendly. You will find everything there that we have here in the UK, (i.e., same shops), and there is a lot you can do in your spare time. If you have a British License, make sure to take it with you and you will be able to get a Qatri driving licence.
    Good luck and enjoy.

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

280680, I disagree with just about everything that you wrote. First of all, you are not supposed to mention specific schools. If you do, it is quite likely that the TES moderators will delete the whole thread. Secondly, the school you have mentioned is perhaps not quite so wonderful. A Music-teaching friend of ours was treated appallingly, sacked and then refused an NOC. Well, she was South African and no doubt she would have been treated differently if she had been a Brit.
    By the way, 280680, they are "Qataris", not "Qatris", and they are not the most pleasant people one could wish to meet, although there may be a few exceptions. If you had ever bothered to speak to anyone from Nepal or the Phillipines, they could have given you quite a different perspective on the joys of living in Qatar.