1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off sick

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rosanueva, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rosanueva

rosanueva New commenter

Hi I have had a really bad bout of flu and have bee off I'll this week It actually started last week when I was not well. I took a couple of days off but felt I needed to gi in even though I did not feel great. Had a couple of really busy days and on the Sat woke up and literally could not move . I just physically could not go to work and am now recovering but feel so guilty being off. In the odd mins I feel ok I think I should be at work. I am not normally off but the feeling to go to work last week when I had not let myself get better ended up with me really ill and off longer. I feel anxious and worry about this. Anyone else the same?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The trouble with teaching is that we think that it is actually easier to go in sick, than to pick up the pieces when we get back after an absence and frankly that can be true. We hold so much in our heads about each individual and where we're up to with each one - that's my primary experience anyway, that it seems impossible that anyone else will take them on in just the right direction. So I don't believe it's guilt that sends us in coughing and infecting everyone else, I think it's lack of trust in anyone else and awareness of how much extra work will be created if we're not there steering the good ship "My Class".
    It's OK we believe you :).
    Take care and get better quickly. Enjoy the rest for a day or two.

InkyP likes this.
  3. rosanueva

rosanueva New commenter

Thank you for your wise words. Feeling better already.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Thanks for sharing this with us,OP. First post since 2015. You must be really shy.

5. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Management's cavalier attitude to potentially serious infections never ceases to amaze me.

Flu is a serious illness. Never mind that it can turn into a lethal form of pneumonia at the drop of a hat. Never mind that you'll be spreading virus wherever you tread.

The Show Must Go On...

mustn't it?

InkyP likes this.
  6. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Two words that you never hear anymore:

quarantine and convalescence.

InkyP likes this.