1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off sick straight to maternity leave?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tb123, Jan 27, 2012.

1. I've been signed off work for a fairly long time which is not pregnancy related.

Can my fitness to work certificate end during a holiday period and then I can start maternity leave during the holiday? (so that I do not physically have to return to work)

I'm presuming also that this does not affect my maternity pay etc, am I right in thinking this?

Thanks

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

If you are signed off until some point in the holiday, there's no reason why you couldn't give your maternity start date later in that same holiday (assuming that's within the permitted dates for starting it anyway).
    Maternity pay might be affected if you are no longer on full pay, but shouldn't be otherwise.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I shouldn't.
    I would get a "Return to work" letter from your Dr for beginning of holidays, and then start mat leave on the first day of term (unless that is later than you are entitled to,legally).
    Why waste your maternity leave over the holidays unless you are forced to?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com