1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off sick just before maternity leave starts

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by nightowl13, Feb 24, 2011.

1. I have had time off work, due to having been omitted into hospital with a kidney infection. Thank goodness its half term. I am going to see the midwife tomorrow and am going to ask about returning back to work Monday, I have 2 weeks left before my maternity leave starts. Can someone advise me on the pay situation, from what I have read, I think you get sick pay. However early maternity will start 4 weeks before your due date. Ultimately my unborm baby is my main priority and I will do what ever is best for the little bambino. Thanks for reading my post and would appreciate any replies.

2. How far away is your due date? AFAIK if you are off sick due to pregnancy related illness in the last 4 weeks of your pregnancy, you can be "forced" to start your maternity leave. If it's before then I think normal sickness policies apply.

3. Any time off before 36wks can be taken as sick leave. After this time, if the illness is pregnancy related then it will trigger maternity leave. My LO was born at 34wks so I was able to take any time off as sick leave so my maternity leave started on the day he was born.
    Good luck and as you say - baby comes first!

4. Thanks for the replies, been to see midwife today and have been advised not to return to work. So will go on sick for a bit and then start my maternity.