1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off sick and ofsted have called!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Aspinall1969, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Aspinall1969

Aspinall1969 New commenter

Been off sick - I was sent home by head with suspected shingles - this was confirmed by the doctor - I'm signed off till the end of this week (3 weeks altogether) but I felt a bit better towards the end of last week and asked my head if I could come back early- she said no as she wanted me to be fully fit (school have been very supportive) so I'm still off getting stronger though still very tired and have just found out (not from the school) that ofsted called yesterday and are in tomorrow and today! Should I go in? As far as school are concerned I don't even know.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

No way!

solvacrime and CWadd like this.
  4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Absolutely not. You have been signed off, your HT has said no!

If you're not there - you're not there. Its immaterial if Ofsted are there or not.

solvacrime likes this.
  5. Aspinall1969

I'm worried that it'll affect my position as I was an Nqt last year which I passed but had to apply for a permanent position which I didn't get but was offered another temporary contract as there were a few issues - professionalism (friend vs teacher behaviour) which I worked on in the summer term and improved (as noted in my nqt reports) - I was advised off the record that as my teaching is good, a good ofsted visit would virtually guarantee me my permanent position and now I'm missing the opportunity! I love this school and the children and want nothing more than to stay but feel so depressed now

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

You are signed off. If you went in, and felt unwell, and OfSTED found out the school would almost certainly make you the scapegoat.

Incidentally I simply wouldn't believe them when they make a sort of promise about giving you a job...In my experience if schools do this they are just waiting to see if anyone "better" emerges - if they do, whatever OfSTED say won't help you.

solvacrime and TEA2111 like this.
  7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Don't be silly…

solvacrime likes this.
  8. Aspinall1969

Thanks for the advice - probably don't need the stress of worrying about my job on top of everything else.

TEA2111 likes this.
  9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Absolutely not. You asked your HT if you should go in and she said no. If you did go in now with Ofsted there you would only upset everything as they will have catered for you not being there; you will have missed the essential briefing meetings, you will not have time to plan for your classes AND find out where they got up to while you have been off sick, and you will be under everyone's feet and mess up the arrangements. Leave them to it, and when you are well, take in cake to compensate.

solvacrime and FolkFan like this.
  10. Aspinall1969

Fabulous idea - cake will definitely help!

solvacrime likes this.
  11. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Going in when signed off -this could compromise school's insurance
    Failing to follow HTs instruction -disciplinary
    Promise of job if good OFSTED -and what if it's not a good OFSTED - (also see folk fan's comment)

Hope you are better soon

12. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Offer of a permanent job if you're good for Ofsted?

But Ofsted would actually have to observe you.

Don't believe it. Focus on getting well - and perhaps looking for a perm post elsewhere.

13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

That's scary that anyone would offer you a job on that basis. If your teaching is good, then that alone is a reason to offer a job.

CWadd and snowyhead like this.
  14. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

My understanding:

(i) you get a permanent post if the whole school gets a 'good' grading (because individual lessons aren't graded by inspectors);

(ii) your SLT don't possess the skills and experience to make a judgement whether to offer you a permanent post but will rely on the outcome of an Ofsted inspection to make the decision for them.

Do you really want to work at this school?

What does permanent mean anyway in this day and age when a teacher can be 'disappeared' in a term?

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Apart from any considerations about your own health, you could be compromising that of a colleague if you return before you're fully fit.

Heaven forfend, you might even infect Ofsted!

old_dobbin and snowyhead like this.
  16. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Heaven forfend, you might even infect Ofsted! :)

As everyone says, you have been signed off. Even the HT has said do not come back until you are well. You are not supposed to know they who shall not be named are even there! Its a no brainer! STAY AT HOME!

Also, frankly, in this day and age they are more likely to use any negative observation of you against you than any positive observation for you.

Without knowing exactly how you interact with the kids, either you do (and have?) realised you have to be the 'adult' even if the age gap is not that great or maybe secretly SLT is actually jealous of the rapport you have built given you are closer in age to them? Or a bit of both? Either way, in this almost paranoid culture of CP, one must stay cautious.

PS after this year the school will have to take you on permanently or not at all as far as I understand (2 year rule.)

17. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

No. Stay at home and get well.

solvacrime likes this.
  18. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Your health is your NUMBER ONE priority and that should be your focus rather than returning to work just for the sake of an OFSTED inspection.
    Your HT has clearly indicated that you are not to return to work until you are fully fit to do so and breaching this could result in disciplinary action.
    They would already have your lessons covered anyway, therefore returning to work early will probably 'upset the ratchet'- besides, do you really need that added pressure? Last minute emergency meetings, reviewing marking/ lesson plans/ SOWs? I think not. Just stay at home and don't worry.

FolkFan likes this.
  19. FRJones

FRJones New commenter

How silly- stay off xx

20. mark6243

mark6243 Occasional commenter

Don't be ******* stupid. If you become persona non gratis at some point in the future, do you think you'll have support, or be hung out to dry.

**** 'em. Ofsted especially.

TEA2111 likes this.