1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Off sick and looking for a new job.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Beckstar9978, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Beckstar9978

Beckstar9978 New commenter

I’m desperately unhappy at work. I am on the verge of being signed off. I was wondering how would this effect my chances of getting another job or applying whilst off due to stress?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

There are a lot of factors. Many schools seem to have employed folk who have been signed off with stress.
    Going for interviews when off sick is not good. Some of the people who are good with legal words will express this more cogently.
    A key step is to polish up your CV and to think about what an @Beckstar9978 shaped job would look like. Then reflect on the next best thing.
    Most important thing is to find a way to calm down and get better. Big decisions are best made when thought is not influenced by stress hormones.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. teachingsherlock

teachingsherlock New commenter

Hi, I am in exactly the same situation however I have been signed off (as of last Wednesday). I don't have all of the answers but just wanted to say I know exactly how you are feeling and don't feel any shame in being signed off. You wi.just get worse and worse otherwise and that won't help anybody. X

agathamorse likes this.