1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Of Mice and Men?

Discussion in 'English' started by thethiefoftime, Jan 3, 2016.

1. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

I must have taught this text at least eight times now and I'm ashamed to say I'm rather stuck in my ways. I would welcome any creative teaching ideas for this text, especially for teaching the context - Great Depression etc. Thank you!

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

What do you normally do? Difficult to advise without knowing what you are trying to change from.
    Do the students normally do some independent research on the Great Depression? Or you give them notes? Or...?

3. jmanning

jmanning New commenter

I conduct a role play with my learners called 'Of Mice and Men on Jeremy Kyle' I put all the names of the characters into a hat and then get them to pick a character (if you have lots of learners the rest can be the audience) someone is also Jeremy Kyle. I then get them to come up and be interviewed by Jeremy on who they think killed Curley's wife? Was she to blame for her death? I have carried out this activity for the last 3 years with numerous learners and it never fails to amuse.:)

thethiefoftime likes this.
  4. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter