1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OECD says way to raise standards is to recruit and reward teachers!

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Freddie92, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

Full article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17357646

I wonder what Mike Russell has to say about this?

2. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

Full article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17357646

I wonder what Mike Russell has to say about this?

3. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I imagine he'd smugly point out the bit that says we're better paid than teachers in England and suggest we're on the right track.

4. He'll say whatever his handlers tell him to say.

5. From the article:
    "He says that a modern economy needs teachers who are "high-level knowledge workers" - able to support the learning of children in a digital age.
    Where children can access facts and information through Google, he says, there is now a need for a different and more versatile kind of teacher."
    I just hope the posters who sneer on these threads at Google and PowerPoint and other new fangled stuff are prepared to do the decent thing and refuse to take the huge pay rise the OECD suggests.
    However, I suspect that, as usual, they'll want it both ways: they'll take the dosh but carry on rubbishing the education they are being paid to deliver.

6. He'll say that the OECD is not talking about paying the current crop of teachers more, because, in the OECD's view, they are underqualified and underperforming.
    The OECD is talking about paying the next generation more to attract teachers who are more highly qualified than those doing the job at the moment who, it seems, are actually part of the problem. So none of us should start spending the pay rise, because it's not intended for us.