1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Odd student names

Discussion in 'Personal' started by albertdog, Feb 28, 2012.

1. I've taught one Ryan P. Enis, Princess Diana, God's Gift and a very sweetly named Luke Moon, but my favourite is Tennessee Williams (taught by a colleague) who had a penchant for the plays of, you've guessed it, Tennessee Williams. You always had to look twice at the coursework cover sheet forms.

2. When I did my teaching practice I had a Sting Ball in my class [​IMG]

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Lord-Lothar, known as Lord, in a Catholic school where the children started each day singing a hymn with the first two lines "Good morning Jesus, Good morning Lord"

4. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

Have had a Jack Daniels, a couple of Angels, Destiny, Holly Holliday, a lad with a surname Dick - and his mum came into help. Never quite managed to say Mrs Dick - it was always 'Mrs, um, J's mum'.

5. Perhaps her husband was a Dickens character.

6. sannas

sannas Occasional commenter

In my last school we had a William Kidd. Always made me smile.

7. Ive had/heard of:
    Trinity (always waiting for Neo to bust in!)
    Ignatious (!)
    Mowgli
    Patience
    Anne-Drew (female)
    Spencer Marks
    Two very short boys called Ryan Short and Paul Shortman.
    Pax (with a brother called Sam. 'sampax')
    a few Crystals
    The ones that really get me are the 'old man' names for boys, I cant take a three year old called 'Derek' or 'Ted' seriously!
    I could go on!

8. surf kitty too

surf kitty too Occasional commenter

Not one I've taught, but years ago my son was in a football team, he was probably about 6 or 7 years old. One of the other boys was called Cezanne. Of course, all the boys called him Suzanne. I believe he changed his name before secondary school!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Jason Mason. Cherry Wadge. Felicity Joy. All in the West Country.
    But my absolute favourite is in Spain, a twelve-year-old Spanish girl called . . . I couldn't work out how to spell it . . La-dee-dee.
    Named, of course, after the late Princess of Wales. Spelling? All in one word, with a capital L and a capital D again in the middle.
    Best wishes

10. Jammy-Dodger

Jammy-Dodger New commenter

My favourite ever came from a GP friend. He had a patient with a name he couldn't work out - it was spelt Le-a.
    Turned out to be pronounced Ledasha.

11. Fantastic. When my ex was on teaching practice in 1973, a pair of brothers used to turn up on horseback. Their surname was James and their first names were Frank and Jesse!!

12. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I taught a boy called Diamond. He was one of triplets, his sisters were Ruby and Emerald.

13. When I was working in a nursery a few years ago, there was a 2 year old Brian.
    I also knew of a 5 year old Bob.
    Having said that, my partner and I love the name Ted. We intend to call our (unconceived!) son Theodore, but Teddy or Ted for short.

14. Aynul. I tried a couple of different pronounciation, but he always insisted on Anal[​IMG]

15. Gigi pronounced gee gee and Sian pronounced See Ann. Also taught a JJ, Lovely, Pretty and a Norman (all the 1st born boys in the family were called Norman)

16. Many years ago all the girls in a family at my school had names with same initial letter. Mother had loads of daughters and eventually ran out of names so there was a Donna and a Donna-Marie. (Names changed to protect the innocent - me)

17. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Brothers Sean, and......Shaun!

18. A few years ago, in the same year group... Jack Nicholson and Lewis Collins!