1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Odd student names

Discussion in 'Personal' started by albertdog, Feb 28, 2012.

1. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

China
    Prince
    Princess
    Storm
    Zane Fletcher Christian

2. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

I've also had a Prince and Princess, no relation though
    I've taught a Precious Jewel
    a Fuqaa
    and a Flower
    Not all in the same school

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Desta
    Juanita (pronounced Juneeta)
    Chevon (Siobhan)
    Eleazar
    Indya
    Crystal
    and my old class-mate, Annette Ball.
    A friend did supply at a school where there was a Vietnamese lad called Phuc. She decided to pronounce it Phun. Bless.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Ooh I forgot -we also had a Chelsea, Paris and India from the same family.

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

The prize for the best name at the first school I taught at I would award to Brenton Dyke. I'm sure he must share it with a geographical feature somewhere on this planet.
    At my second school we had a Clarissa Crump (all she needed was a chum called Lettice Leaf and we'd have been in the realms of Malory Towers).

6. As unbelievable as it sounds, I assure you this is true!
    My OH's Dad is a Fostering and Adoption Social Worker and he told us a story about a family he went to visit who already had a son and wanted to foster another child. They introduced their son as "Gooey", OH's Dad asked for them to repeat it, again they said "Gooey".
    OH's Dad said "Gooey.... what an interesting name. How do you spell that?"
    The parent replied "G - U - Y".

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

A colleague of mine recalls a Porsha. Not for Portia in Shakespeare, but for the car.

8. Were his middle names Ice and Baby?

9. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

A boy with the middle name "Skywalker" First name was Luke.
    Gordon, to be pronounced "Jordan"
    Tea - pronounced Tee-a
    Garfield

10. I've taught a Jovi.
    Also have taught a Blessing, a Scientist and a Comfort.
    Did have a girl in my form called Neet.
    Have lots of Mohammed Mohammeds

11. Forgot about John Barnes.

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

The fun starts when you have 8 out of 12 students called Mohammed and 3 are Mohammed Mohammed. In Islam the 2nd name is that of the father so you may teach a Jameela Mohammed or a Mohamedda Mohammed.

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Off topic, but related to LR's post -

I once taught a class with 4 Daniels, a Danny, 2 Danielles and a Donyella. Plus, 3 Sams, 4 Samanthas and a Sammy.
    Two of the Daniels were Daniel Ian Jones, 3 of the Samanthas had long ginger hair, and three children in the class had the initials SAT.
    However, it had an advantage - I could just give an instruction to "Sam and Dan's table" - and all kids responded.

14. Taught a girl whose surname was Duff in an 'interesting' school.
    When calling the register, all the boys shouted UP THE before I said her last name.

15. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Porsche
    Pooh
    ManU
    John the Baptist
    last two are just the first names...

16. This thread: what NOT to read when supervising CAs in absolute silence!

Had an Audi, Charleee (yes, there were three es) and Tiger-Lily on teaching practice. My OHs mum also used to teach a Harvey Davidson.

17. A friend of a friend taught a Da'End....because he was his parents 9th and last child :p

18. madasahatter

madasahatter New commenter

Love all these......
    When supply teaching taught a Tad, when I asked about this it turned out the full name was Tadpole! Poor child!
    In the same school were a Blonboy, Queenie and Princess, large traveller intake.
    In another school taught a Glorygod known as Glory as mum said he needed to "grow into" the god part!!
    Elvis. Dennis Taylor and Wale (pronounced wally) were some other great ones!

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We had a family where the kids were called 'Three', 'Five' and 'Eleven'! How odd was that?

20. Veruka

Veruka New commenter

We have the following restrictions according to the Births, Deaths & Marriages Act. You cannot give your child a name if it:
    1) Is obscene of offensive
    2) Cannot be established by repute or usage
    3) If it's too long
    4) If it contains symbols without phoentic significance
    5) It is contrary to public interest
    6) It contains an official title or rank recognised in Australia
    so that last one would present a problem to those wanting to call their daughters Princess (thank God! I can't stand little cutesy names for girls, makes me want to vomit)
    And #3 might present a challenge to some of our Sri Lankan immigrants, some of who seem to have very long names.
    I think #2 is an attempt to stop people calling their child 'Quntus' or 'Burberry' or Wardrobe or Coathanger by insisting that it is a common name where they come from or that it is a long, standing family tradition
    #5 is interesting.....presuming that they don't want people naming their child Klu Klux Klan Rules or something?