1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Odd student names

Discussion in 'Personal' started by albertdog, Feb 28, 2012.

1. I wonder if anyone would like to share any, hopefully, genuine student names, which sound odd, or show a lack of wider knowledge on the part of parents.
    For example, we had a boy called Narice who, it was surmised, was intended to be called Norris but for a breakdown in communication between the registrar and his parents' West Indian accents.
    In the nineties, I taught a boy called Hadley Rille.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Doing the verbal interviews for assessing English levels, one Swiss girl introduced herself as Michelle Fuchs. Replace the H with a K and you'll understand why sniggers were difficult to conceal.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I've had a Sian, which is a perfectly nice name (I have a niece called that) but this girl was quite stroppy about me first pronouncing it the standard way. It was pronounced "Sigh-Ann" she assured me.
    All the Nikita's I've come across have been girls, despite it being a Russian boy's name. I once mentioned that in a class and was told I was wrong because their Mum chose it from a love song where the object of the male singer's affections was called Nikita. "I think you'll find that the singer was Elton John and he's gay" I elucidated. Similarly, most Sacha's are girls when it too is a boy's name.
    I've seen a Nickerla on a register and Danyul is becoming more common as is Demi, which originated with Demi Moore, I belive, and was chosen by her mother because she saw the French work and like the look of it but didn't know how it was pronounced or that it meant half.
    An episode of ER had Abby trying to steer a mother away from spelling her child's name as CHAIR, pronounced Cher!

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I wonder how many girls named Mercedes we all must have taught whose parents chose her name having been influenced by the Spanish one, deriving from Santa Maria de las Mercedes (The Virgin Mary, our Lady of Mercies) or even with literary reference to Edmond Dantes' lost love in The Count of Monte Cristo?
    None, of course. Because it's a car, innit?

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..a brand of car originally named after its manufacturer's daughter.

I know someone once taught two sisters named Polly and Ester Cotton.

I once taught a Ben Downes (and no, he didn't have a mate called Phil), and a Luke who's sister was Leah, so presumably dad was called Darth Vader ("I am most displeased with my son's lack of progress Headmaster..")

A colleague could recall teaching a Quentin Cumber (ie Q Cumber).

6. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We had a polish child start with a normal name. However his parents wanted us to call him by his pet name Buga. We had to explain why this may not be appropriate in the UK.

7. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Also had a Belinda Jane who was shortened to BJ!

8. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Nasreen sister to Nazreen

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Colleague called his children Sam and Ella. He was Science teacher too.

10. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Tarzan! Pronounced Tar-Zanne.[​IMG]

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I convulsed with laughter when I watched this.

12. That name is pronounced 'Foochs'.
    The 'ch' is like the sound in 'loch'.
    It doesn't sound like a swearword to me.

13. I see your Stone Rose and I raise you two Axels and a Shania.

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

15. I expect there will be quite a few Evoques starting school in four years' time.

16. Gift, India, Axel ... Need I go on?

17. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

In my previous school I encounted a Tallulah, I've known an Azrielle (but used a shortened version), even an Eden.
    These were average schools, and we did have the obligatory India...

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My Dad recounted the sorry tale of a teaching post interview that didn't involve an odd name, but involved some confusion thus:

Interviewer: "Good morning Miss Moss"

Candidate: "Ms"

Interviewer: "Pardon?"

Candidate: "I prefer Ms"

Interviewer: "I'm sorry - Good morning Miss Muzz"

He said things went rapidly downhill after that...

19. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

During my very first teaching placement there was a girl named "Tequila". I wonder if this was how she was conceived...?!

20. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I've also taught a Blessed and a Marvellous but my favourite was Guv'nor spelt just like that!