1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ODD or PDD

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by pibydd, Jan 30, 2012.

1. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

A very basic question, I hope. Are ODD and PDD esentially the same diagnosis or not? If not what are the essential differences and can you please point me to somewhere where I can read about them?
    Thanks

2. PDD is a pervasive developmental disorder such as autism, aspergers and petts syndrome. ODD is an ongoing pattern of anger and disoedience, usually directed at authority figures. However it could be that the child has both disorders. If you google them you can find out more information. Hope this helps.

3. DSM -IV - TR is American v diagnostician orientated but is v informative on some disorders. PDD and ODD are completely different though they may present in similar ways.
    PDD is defined as Any of several disorders, such as autism and Asperger's syndrome,
    characterized by severe deficits in many areas of development, including
    social interaction and communication, or by the presence of repetitive,
    stereotyped behaviors. Such disorders are usually evident in the first
    years of life and are often associated with some degree of mental
    retardation.
    That said in my experience (others may be different would be quite useful to find out actually) I rarely find PDD used except when it is unclear what is going on, just that something is. Most diagnoses these days are of Autism or Aspergers etc. I have seen it used in conjunction with microcephaly and generally it seems to me to be used instead of ESN (thank goodness for that at least!!).
    ODD is defined by the DSM as a pattern of anger and hostility against authority figures that goes beyond the norm for childhood behaviours, which is quite woolly. I am not sure about ODD inasmuch as it is often diagnosed with a co-morbidity that would also explain the complete inability to deal with authority. I personally have not met a diagnosis of ODD standing alone. Has anyone else?

4. I have seen PDD used when a young person doesn't meet the diagnostic threshold for ASD but obviously has similar behaviours etc.
    I have seen ODD as a diagnosis in isolation but that young person went on to develop schizophrenia so the ODD diagnosis may well have been a misdiagnosed early part of the psychotic ilness.