1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

odd and even numbers for year 3 and 4 class

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by neiljones87, May 22, 2011.

1. Im going to be having an assessed lesson on odd and even numbers at the end of the week. Pupils in the school follow the abacus maths scheme. By the time this lesson is assessed it will be the 3rd lesson on odd and even numbers.....
    Does anyone have some good ideas on how to make the lesson as interactive and enjoyable as possible?
    Thanks!

2. I'm not a primary teacher, but I did once sit in on a primary lesson on odds and evens where they were looking at house numbers, and the way they are usually arranged in streets as odds and evens. Would they have already covered this in the earlier lessons?
    If not, could you take pictures of sets of houses in local streets to the school (with house numbers visible) and ask them whether the numbers are odds, evens, or something different? (even better if you can take them to the local streets to look, but I don't suppose that is possible?)

Hope this helps - or prompts another idea
    Liz

3. Thank you for the reply. I havent started it with them yet but by that stage I think they will have covered that.
    Its a bit of an awkward one for me because by that stage they will be finishing of the work, so I need to use something which will keep them interested and give me a good assessed lesson!!!

4. DeborahCarol

DeborahCarol New commenter

How about an 'investigation', eg what happens if you add two odds, add two evens, add odd and even, and ditto using multiplication? Ask them to find some 'rules', ie statements about these things that always hold true?

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

And ask them to find out <u>why</u> two odds always sum to an even etc. How can they convince someone ele that their statements are true?

6. I will be discussing the rules i.e even + even = even with them in the first lesson...
    Im going to try and think of a one off lesson, again thanks for all the people who have taken the time to reply!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Ask them why an odd number is an odd number. That's always a good one. Not because it ends in 1, 3,5, 7 or 9. Try and see if they can get to the bottom of it. Good opportunity for practical investigation.

8. This is a good post. I agree and even go as far as to say I would like to see CCTV in all classess lesson in lesson out for all manner or reasons. I appreciate that this will not be liked by many but it certainly would make things a little more transparent and safe for teacher in many situations. No more dressing up, fabricated lessons. No more silly QAs or observations and increased security for teachers in terms of behaviour and potential allegations.
    My previous HoD had a stock bank of 5 lessons he used to have waiting for observations regardless of what the kids were doing. They were outstanding lessons, ergo he was deemed outstanding. All his other lessons (21 a week) were horrible and didnt advance kids in any way other than towards the benefits system.

9. I agree with what has been mentioned. Any lesson I teach I always put 100% in because I want pupils to benefit from and enjoy the lesson. The purpose of my message was to gain some ideas from other teaching professionals to incorporate in to my lesson.
    Although my message should have been worded more appropriately the point of it was to get advice as it is a forum. My lesson plans are always detailed and relevant, the only thing i am guilty of is trying to set up the "neon lights" on the odd occasion!
    Thanks for the feedback.