1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Octopus on the Barbecue

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Apr 9, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I have comical visions of this!! Unfortunately one can't draw on here!

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I can but imagine!
    We bought the thing last year, having returned from a holiday to Crete where we ate some amazing barbecued octopus and with my wife having discovered that she liked it, we bought a frozen monster from a Chinese supermarket, placed it in the freezer and promptly forgot about it. I unearthed it last week whilst doing a freezer inventory, and decided it's about had its time in there. Barbecue weather this weekend means we'll be sharing it among friends, which is fortunate as it's bloody huge!
    A bit more trawling on the internet coughed up this very funny piece from Pierre Koffmann:
    I found some very good instructions on the same blog as the above, so I'll go with that. In case anyone's interested:

Barbequed Octopus

1 kg octopus tentacles
    2 lemons, juiced
    200 ml olive oil
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
    salt and fresh ground pepper

Thoroughly wash the tentacles removing all the slime and any debris that falls away and dry thoroughly. Place in a marinating dish and pour over the oil and lemon juice, add the oregano and seasoning - leave in a cool place for an hour, no more as the lemon juice will cook the flesh. Heat your barbeque as hot as you can and place the marinaded tentacles on the grill bars. The flesh will change colour to dark red in parts, as well as pick up char marks. Cook for one to two minutes, depending on the thickness, before turning over and charring the other side. Goes well with a Greek salad.

3. I must admit to not being keen on octopus, unless my Greek friends are BBQing it.
    They marinade it (in some secret marinade) and then Zutti (the bloke, a great mate) throws it around in the air a bit and catches it and pulls it this way and that (this is an hilarious experience in itself) and then justs whaps it on to the grill.
    It is quite interesting to watch as it changes colour.
    And however they do it (it seems to be a family secret) it never turns out like rubber (I have eaten so much rubbery octopus it is enough to almost put me off for a lifetime).