1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

October Half term meet in Cambridge

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 11, 2019.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I could always do a mini-meet the 30th October as am off that week as well....to 'celebrate' the possible end of England (Brexit)...

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm getting the pitchfork and tar bucket ready

sabrinakat and bombaysapphire like this.
  3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Yep - have driven there, driven round for a parking space, given up and driven home on two occasions.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If all else fails - try the Grafton Centre Car park

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Crikey, parking IS expensive! I grumble at £1.20 for 3 hours:confused:

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Laphroig likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The five Park and Ride car parks around Cambridge are excellent. Free parking and the bus into town is £3 return (free after 9.30 if you have a bus pass from any English council). Buses on the services I've used are every 10 mins (15 mins on Sundays).

The only thing to watch is that the buses mainly stop at around 8pm, so if you are staying out for a play, concert or other event, you may have to get a taxi back to the car park.

oldsomeman, mothorchid and nomad like this.
  8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Also be aware that some of the park and ride places have a height barrier which excludes high vehicles such as vans, motorhomes and big High cars such as Chelsea tractors.

florian gassmann likes this.
  9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Feeling picked on.....:(

nomad likes this.
  10. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I know the Boathouse really well. Last time you met there I was going to get a job collecting glasses at the Boathouse so I could observe you all.

On this occasion I could be there from home in forty-five minutes and park round the corner for free. I think I'll come along.

sabrinakat and nomad like this.
  11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

If your vehicle is higher than 7 feet, you will need to park at the Trumpington park and ride site (through a separate entrance). Enter the site at the entrance directly off Hauxton Road, not at the slip road entrance from the M11/A10 direction. From there you will be signposted to the correct gate.

That help? :)

12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I don't have a tractor!
    But thank you anyway. ;)

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yet come the harvest festival, I bet you'll be singining "We plough the fields and scatter" as loudly as anyone else who neither owns a tractor nor a plough.

14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Probably not: it's not a favourite harvest hymn of mine, and I can't remember when I last sang it.
    In any case, I never sing loudly - I have a voice like a corncrake!

nomad likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You mean - you sing in a bunch of keys?

:D

chelsea2 likes this.
  16. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

It's one of my 2 favourite hymns.... the other being "Eternal Father strong to save...." This decided me re there being no hymns to be sung at my funeral..... having alas a singing voice no child could love (I am not allowed to even hum or whistle by my younger) a situation not helped by my paralysed vocal chord. Unless one has a very hearted voiced vicar who can make up for the lack of singing from a church filled with reticent folk, hymn singing at funerals can be very depressing.
    So..... "Electrolite" R.E.M., "Cloudbusting" - Kate Bush, "God only knows" - Beach Boys and "The Great Beyond"- R.E.M. are dictated for mine....

17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

You're being VERY kind.
    No one has ever found my keys!

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Responses so far are as follows:

'Can do's'
    1. Nomad
    2. @ilovesooty
    3. @peakster
    4. @BertieBassett2
    5. @CarrieV
    6. @sabrinakat
    7. @Mangleworzle
    8. @Jude Fawley
    Possibles
    1. @primarycat - I'd like to come but won't know for sure until nearer the time.
    2. @Sundaytrekker - Maybe. I’m nearer to Cambridge than London.
    3. @sparklepig2002 - I'm a possible but will have to confirm nearer the time.
    4. @phlogiston - Possibly. We may be away then.
    5. @chelsea2 - I'm a possible...any excuse to visit the Haunted Bookshop!
    6. @RepelloInimicum - I'm a possible, but would need to decide nearer the time.
    7. @Laphroig - If I get a job in September then I’m in.
    8. @lizziescat - I’m a possible but won’t know until nearer the time

19. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Paris Réunion, mercredi 23 octobre:

venue: en attente de confirmation

Participants:
    yodaami2

sabrinakat and BertieBassett2 like this.
  20. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Been meaning to reply to this thread...

I'll almost certainly be up for it. If it's definitely on, I'll get my train tickets as soon as possible.

I was thinking though, since not everyone is on half-term that week, how about having it in Spring half-term instead? (Or maybe do another one then too?)

sabrinakat likes this.