1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

October Half term meet in Cambridge

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Even dearer than an awayday to London. :(

HelenREMfan likes this.
  2. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

If I get a job in September then I’m in.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My half term is the following week. Has everyone checked their term dates?

I am busy in half term anyway so I am not suggesting a change. I am just surprised that everyone else is off the week before my school.

lanokia and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Definitely that week here and in the neighbouring county. I’ve just double checked.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  5. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I’m a possible but won’t know until nearer the time

6. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Good spot Bombay, my half term isn’t until the following week. Sorry Nomad, you will have to cross me off the list! :(

7. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I just checked and that is my half term. I should be ok unless Mr PC decides we should go away.

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Sounds intriguing. More information nearer the time.
    And I would definitely recommend getting the shuttle bus into town from the station. It's a long walk and not an especially pretty one.

9. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Just checked Trainline. Open off peak return £89! The first price choice on the list if I wanted to go tomorrow at 922 was £384 second class! What a joke!

10. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Anyone fancy Paris instead? Cheaper to get there for me.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I was going to go to Scarborough by train earlier in the year. When the lady told me the price of a return ticket I thought she was joking.

My train journeys are only local these days.

yodaami2 likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah shoot yeah... I'm the next week.

I'm out, sorry folks [or a blessed relief for y'all]

13. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

National express. £54. More reasonable but still! Also 7 hours each way. Have fun.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The alternatives are no better - I once went from Cambridge to Scarborough by coach - it took almost a full day with all the stops. My journey back took so long I grew a beard on the trip.

Never again.

At university I travelled everywhere by train and did some epic journeys. When I was living down in Bristol I came back to Yorkshire a few times on the train.

I'd have to re-mortgage the house to afford that now. Such a shame - having a cup of hot chocolate in the old cafe on York station on a freezing cold Winter's day was one of life's real pleasures.

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I can't change the half term dates, but would people prefer a pub/restaurant nearer the station?

There seem to be there possibilities:
    http://www.theemperorcambridge.com
    https://www.theoakbistro.co.uk
    https://www.oldbicycleshop.com

All on the station side of the city but I cannot vouch for any of them.

There is also the Stagecoach X5 which runs from Oxford through Bicester, Buckingham, Milton Keynes, Bedford and St Neots to Cambridge.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

What about Carlitos near the Lion Yard ?

17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I'm only just over an hour by car from Cambridge, though I know parking is impossible and costs almost as much as the train fares you've been quoting. Never used the park & ride - does that fetch up anywhere near the proposed pub(s)? Or, presumably, the pubs have car parks - do they?

18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I go to Cambridge regularly and always use the Park and Ride, parking is free and the return fare to town £3. Parking in Cambridge can be a bit of a nightmare, there's times when I've spent half an hour or more driving round looking for a space and then can only find one a long way from where I want to be, you can be lucky but more often than not aren't, so I don't even think about it these days. It's also very expensive to park during the day, about £10 for 3 hours and £20 for 5.

The buses will drop you off within walking distance of anywhere in the city centre.

ilovesooty likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Parking in Cambridge is impossible unless you know the few places you can get a space if you go early.

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Daughter lives in London - always says that public transport is better and cheaper than Cambridge.