1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR & WJEC film studies A-LEVEL

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by rimesfrost, Sep 27, 2015.

1. rimesfrost

rimesfrost New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm a PGCE media studies student who is constructing a report about the OCR & WJEC film studies A-Level and was wondering if any of you had any opinions about each specification?

Do you teach any of them?
    How do you find each qualification?
    What strengths and weaknesses could you point out about each of them?

Any information about this would be extremely helpful. You don't have to answer every question, I just need to gather what teachers think about each specification.

Thank you very much.

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

I don't teach either (I teach Media Studies), but can probably point you towards a useful resource:

David Buckingham conducted a review of the existing Media and Film Studies specifications last year. It could be a useful piece of second research.

Another thing I should draw your attention to is how new (and small) OCR's Film Studies A Level is. It was only introduced for first teaching 2012 (in contrast, WJEC has offered it since the 1970s) and had just 176 A Level students in the first cohort (examined in 2014). In other words, you're going to struggle to find OCR teachers. Given WJEC's market share is over 97%, those teachers should be much easier to find!