1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR what the actual

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by uselessnerdII, Jun 26, 2019.

1. uselessnerdII

uselessnerdII New commenter

This board seems to be a mess this year, sacking staff, shifting deadlines, changing systems mid course, has someone at the company decided to push the lets get mental button??

2. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

I switched to AQA when we started CS because of the embarrassment their ICT had become. I no longer trusted OCR, particularly over coursework and moderation, but also with setting exams with questions barely related to their specification. Results became a lottery.

I blame OCR for the more recent Controlled Assessment debacle. The AQA tasks were really well written: nicely progressive so that all students could make a start, and open ended enough to stretch any. It was the inaccessible OCR ones (so I've been told) that led to the cheating.

I have no knowledge about staff sackings, but if so I hope it is the old-timers who've caused so much grief in schools.

3. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Judging by their Facebook site, it's the youngish ones that have a lot to answer for. These very inexperienced adults are little more than arrogant teenagers, who have consistently insisted they know right, everything they did with the CAs, everything they are currently doing is the best way forward etc. They keep refusing to listen to the teachers at the chalkface, telling them over and over again that OCR know best, banning anyone who disagrees, banning teachers offering training to help real teachers. And yet, they make mess after mess that then has to be cleared up after them.

If you are doing OCR, whatever you do, buy the semi "official" textbook for the GCSE. It's really really really helpful in the exams, as students found out a few years ago.