1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Textiles exam papers - feedback

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by ajtextiles, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I haven't seen either paper yet, but did teach my year 10s later today and they were really cross about the paper stating it was all about packaging. Now I'm sure it wasn't but wonder what others felt about both papers especailly as the AQA people sound as if they thought their paper fine expect for the bonded fabric question.

2. We did Unit A574 - Technical aspects of design and making today (my group sat the other paper in June 2010 and January 2011). It was OK apart from being a bit repetitive regarding asking how to do things. One question had you doing step by step how to attach bias binding to a seam and another question asked how to do a plain seam. I was also confused to see half a question asking them to evaluate applique against the 6Rs. In theory the A572 unit covers the bulk of the Sustainablity questions, yet the one they took in January had a half question about printing fabric without reference to sustainability!
    I mark paper A574, so it will be interesting to see how well the candidates have done in general. I know I prepped my class well (if they were listening and followed my revision advice) and apparently they were all working right up to the end of the allocated time.
    I don't have a Year 10 class and Year 9 option choices were hit by the positioning against EBacc subjects so I've been packing all my worksheets and revision materials away today. I doubt if I'll do OCR again though, I found the splitting of the coursework into two sections somewhat illogical.

3. My kids seemed to think the papers were OK - so I am hoping there is a happy ending on results day.

However I am personally glad to see the back of OCR (we will be changing exam boards following this new specification) as I too felt the change to 2 projects and a huge focus on sustainability is not representative of the real life textiles industry and did not inspire the people that matter - kids and teachers.