1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR opening worlds

Discussion in 'English' started by starstarstar, Apr 13, 2008.

1. please?? Anyone??

I've planned to do a general "getting to know you" lesson on what is culture, how do we react to other cultures, recap on analysing short stories, then go through the stories and create revision booklet, with mind maps, summaries and character analysis, then themes of the different stories and a quotation bank...

anything else anyone can add?

xxx

2. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

I like the opening to your lesson with getting the pupils to to respond to understanding what culture is. I remember one teacher who did a lesson where she seperated the class into mini-groups and they had to present their findings of what culture means to them and provide examples from their everyday lives. She asked them to bring in things that they felt represented their culture - some brought in some lovely things and it worked really well. I haven't used this idea yet but she's got it on display in her classroom and I will want to use it soon. Perhaps, you could also allocate reading activities as you proceed analysing them. I think you could also get them to do mini type presentations where a group could work on a particular character. For example, one group would have to look at how one character is portrayed and provide evidence and others could work on another character. You could do a draw a character out of a box type thing and whatever they choose, they have to work on. You could do the same with themes and get them to find quotations that way. You could also get the group to explain why their quotations/evidence is important to the story, so you would get them to practice analysing and keeping in mind language devices. I'm not sure if this is much help, but its another option to keep in mind.

Good luck.

3. that's fantastic thank you!

I'm actually looking forward to teaching it now!

xxx

4. Do you do them for Lit as well as for English?
    I am an NQT teaching them for the first time this year. It is the first year we have used OCR so I have very few resources. There are a few, however on teachit. There is also an accompanying book called 'Working with Opening Worlds/Lines' which may give you a few ideas.
    One idea I had was to get the pupils to do a factfile on each country, but I still have concerns over the fact that by doing this we are suggesting that these stories are completely representative of that country. I also worry that these stories give a largely negative view of other cultures.
    I'll let you know if I have any flashes of inspiration.

5. totally agree- esp the "two kinds" which I liked at first, and the more I read it the more I hate it!!!

Swap emails? yeahthatsrightyouheardme@hotmail.com

I'll send over anything I put together over the next few weeks if you like

xxx

6. That would be good. Do you do all 12 stories? I just do the last 6. I DO like the Winter Oak.
    email is poppiesfan@gmail.com
    I won't be teaching them for a few weeks, but I'll reciprocate with resources I have.

I did do the introduction to culture lesson last year and it went down very well.
    x

7. DalekTeacher

I'm not sure if you meant my e-mail address but mind is: snightingale12@googlemail.com

Are you going teach "The Games at Twilight" ? I studied that just before the teaching specification altered in 2002, and I was so surprised to see it in the Opening Worlds. I thought they would have used different stories. I do have a soft spot for The Games at Twilight.

Did any of the points I make help? Some of my ideas can be quite rubbish at the best of times.

8. DalekTeacher

Same here with resources. I have a good collection of notes for some of the stories, if you want those? I can find them out and e-mail them you if you want? They are part of a revision booklet.

9. DAlek - do you have any notes for the last 6 stories? I would be sooo grateful if you could e-mail me anything you have on these. Are you teaching them too?

10. DalekTeacher

I'm in the same position and I sometimes feel that the resources are so limited on these. Could you just confirm which stories you need notes on and I will check to see if I have those. I have stacks on some of the stories. If you could let me know, i'll e-mail them you.

Hope everything is going well for you.

11. Thanks - they would be:
    Pieces of Silver
    The Red Ball
    The Young Couple
    Games at Twilight
    The Winter Oak
    Leela's Friend

Anything you have would be very gratefully received.

12. DalekTeacher

You are in luck. I have notes on all of those. The pack I have contains a page summary with some of the links to other stories and brief mentions of language techniques. They are meant to help prepare pupils to revise but they are also useful to teachers to help with discussing them. If you are interested, I could e-mail those? By the way, I am going to work on these in more detail over the holiday period and will be creating a much more thorough set of notes, so you are more than welcome to have those as well? When would you like them for? And do you have an e-mail address that I could send you them to?

Hope they help you out anyway.

13. Sorry for bumping this post but I am teaching the last 6 short stories from the OCR book and have very little resources. Has anyone got any that they'd be willing to share please? I'd be really grateful.