1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Nationals Vs BTEC ?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by MatthewFearn, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Dear All,
    We are currently teaching the Old and New Specification to our year 10's and 11's from the OCR National Qualifications. I have been asked to look into BTEC ICT as an option instead of the OCR Nationals.
    why?
    1. Try and reduce marking/moderation time?
    2. No external moderator needed?
    3. Less Work for students to carry out?
    Has anyone had any experience of both and if so which do they prefer?
    Are the units in BTEC easier than OCR Nationals or is the general
    feeling stick with OCR Nationals rather than change?
    Is anyone out their teaching the BTEC course and if so I am wondering if you would be happy to email me some example work to compare against what students have to do for OCR Nationals (2010) specification.
    Finally if anyone has any other options for GCSE courses (coursework based) I would be grateful for your input.
    Ideally if it is going to create more work then I would like to avoid it especially now I need to develop new SOW for the new curriculum of programming.
    Matt

2. Dear All,
    We are currently teaching the Old and New Specification to our year 10's and 11's from the OCR National Qualifications. I have been asked to look into BTEC ICT as an option instead of the OCR Nationals.
    why?
    1. Try and reduce marking/moderation time?
    2. No external moderator needed?
    3. Less Work for students to carry out?
    Has anyone had any experience of both and if so which do they prefer?
    Are the units in BTEC easier than OCR Nationals or is the general
    feeling stick with OCR Nationals rather than change?
    Is anyone out their teaching the BTEC course and if so I am wondering if you would be happy to email me some example work to compare against what students have to do for OCR Nationals (2010) specification.
    Finally if anyone has any other options for GCSE courses (coursework based) I would be grateful for your input.
    Ideally if it is going to create more work then I would like to avoid it especially now I need to develop new SOW for the new curriculum of programming.
    Matt

3. chris1980

chris1980 New commenter

I too offer both OCR National and BTEC at my school. I have always always prefered BTEC over OOCR Nationals due to teaching BTEC more. I have to say as a HOD the bigger picture is at the mmoment from my experience is that OCR National is easier on the admin and assessment and the ammount of work that students have to produce.
    Students have to produce a lot more work to get a pass at BTEC than they do at OCR National.
    Also BTEC is completely changing with the introduction of external assessment in all courses and 100% of students work will be moderated across the course NOT a sample. So i am seriously looking at GCSE because teh admin with BTEC will be huge. I would continue with what you are doing until all new specs are out and approved and mave a choice then
    Hope this helps

4. Thanks Chris. Can you drop us an email m.fearn@st-Antony's.com

Matt