1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Nationals unit 3

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by BarryRiley, Jun 11, 2012.

1. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

I know this whole qualification is a screen-printing joke but Unit 3 really seems to take it to new extremes.

Why on earth do they insist that pupils screenshot every step of their development work and explain what they are doing? They are not allowed to do this afterwards but HAVE to stop every time they use a tool, screenshot it and explain why they have done. What is this teaching them? When would this ever be done in a real life situation. The final product should be proof of whether they have successfully used software tools to achieve a professional looking digital image. if OCR can't see that from the product then I don't see why we should be having to stifle kids' creativity by making them stop what they're doing every second.

I pray for the day I never have to hear the words OCR Nationals again!
    [/rant]

2. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

I know this whole qualification is a screen-printing joke but Unit 3 really seems to take it to new extremes.

Why on earth do they insist that pupils screenshot every step of their development work and explain what they are doing? They are not allowed to do this afterwards but HAVE to stop every time they use a tool, screenshot it and explain why they have done. What is this teaching them? When would this ever be done in a real life situation. The final product should be proof of whether they have successfully used software tools to achieve a professional looking digital image. if OCR can't see that from the product then I don't see why we should be having to stifle kids' creativity by making them stop what they're doing every second.

I pray for the day I never have to hear the words OCR Nationals again!
    [/rant]

3. It's a **** unit, to be sure.

4. That's a bit frustrating, yes, but it's a great unit otherwise.