1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Nationals Unit 20 Animation

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by disappointed, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Hi Garlic Bread, yes you can use eLCs. Most important point (sorry to labor it) is that the resources are a one off fee. Next year your eLCs reduce down by another 25% and not having to pay for our resources next year (or ever again) means you should be able to keep up this years other eLC committments, next year, with less money but this cost gone. Hope that makes sense :) The learning platform version also supplied means that you can import the resources, unbranded, as future assets for ICT courses generally and produce your own stuff building around the 1500 individual learning objects supplied. You won't have to buy the same resources again and again and never actually own them, as you do with subscriptions.

love-ocr
    Our early sample 1 which went to around 1500 schools has changed considerably (40% more) so if you have that you probably won't be as inspired as we'd like you to be. Unit 1 is an uninspiring unit and it's one of the units where the teacher makes a real difference, not the resources and you have to inspire your own students to get them through this unit. The Unit 1 resources providing a structure, information and lots of tutorials. The earlier debate about whether digital resources are needed (or maybe the book is better) is worth resurrecting when we talk about 'inspiring' resources - resources can be inspiring - where they add something unique - inevitably that is when multimedia resources teach students how to do their own multimedia creations by deconstructed exemplars that specifically fit the level needed and assessment objectives (as endorsed by OCR). A student wanting to do animation will need to see animated objects. Not a book with screenshots and a link to the Argos site. When it comes to Unit 1 though the picture of whether you use or will need digital resources becomes more mixed.......

We did have an interim release of 7 full units (produced before endorsement), and have just a few copies left, it is time limited till August 1st but if you drop an email to admin@nwlg.org this week with your delivery details we'll send one out to you.

2. johncollinswork

johncollinswork New commenter

Back to the actual unit:

We're going to do this unit for the first time
    this year and are using the stop motion gif feature
    fo Fireworks (a lot easier a concept to grasp than flash)

Anyone else used this method?

3. If a school did not have any of the Macromedia software could they still do this unit with other software?

Just curious as Macromeida Flash is all I know of.

4. If a school did not have any of the Macromedia software could they still do this unit with other software?

Yes, Serif Draw does animations and the next version will produce Flash files including sound and video. If you are teaching a wide ability range these are a lot easier to use. The learning curve for the web animation is c10 minutes in my experience!

5. The new version of serif draw (X2) will let you do flash animations with all the usual stuff you would expect - shape/motion tween etc plus sounds and hyperlinks etc. It looks a great deal simpler than the standard Flash MX interface and outputs as proper flash files.

It will be perfect for this unit - and also for unit 21 to make flash banners as an alternative/addition to animated gif banner ads.

Keep an eye on the Serif website for details of its launch

6. On the subject of DrawPlus, I believe that Serif are awaiting accreditation from OCR on a scheme of work for Unit 20 with sample animations, a practice assignment, tutorials and other preparatory activities. It'll be free to schools that have their software. They've already covered a few of the other units like 2, 3, 21 and 23, with more in the pipeline. The first version of the CD for the animation unit is based on the current iteration of DrawPlus (8), but an update with tutorials for flash animation will follow the release of DrawPlus X2, probably in September

7. We've just done this unit with our Year 9s (who in the main have coped pretty well with it) using Macromedia Flash MX and we used the topic 'Healthy Living' for them to design their animation around (so they could use any aspect, such as exercise, nutrition, stress reduction, the effects of smoking or drinking or a combination of several of these)

The website we used for them to analyse was www.privatehand.com (They analysed three, 'The Elements' and 'The Last request' were compulsory and they chose one other themselves)

Hope that helps. We just made some framework sheets based on the mark scheme for them to use to guide them through.....

8. Hi

I wondering if you have examples of unit 20 along with the supporting document, for pass, merit or distinction. I have examples for units 1, 2, 4 6, 7, 21 and 22. Which I will gladly let you have.

Pleas let me know.

Thanks

9. Hi

I wondering if you have examples of unit 20 along with the supporting document, for pass, merit or distinction. I have examples for units 1, 2, 4 6, 7, 21 and 22. Which I will gladly let you have.

Pleas let me know.

Thanks

10. Hi
    Did you get to see some animation examples for Pass, Merit & Distinction? We are just starting this unit & would welcome some examples of work that has already been assessed/judged for any of the grades.
    Clare
    cfielding@moorendtc.org.uk

11. Are you doing it for old spec or 2010 spec. Wildly different mark schemes..