1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Nationals Unit 20 Animation

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by disappointed, Jun 19, 2007.

1. I've been asked by my SLT to teach Unit 20 (animation) to a motivated group of Year 11's as a trial. I've looked at the specification and it looks fairly straight forward. We have Serif Draw Plus 6 and Flash MX in school so we have the software but i'm really struggling on two fronts.

Firstly, has anyone written any model assignments for unit 20. I believe OCR are in the process of doing so but i'd like to get on with this during my gained time. Secondly, i'm not sure what a pass, merit, distinction quality animation would look like i.e. the final output.

Any links or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. I've been asked by my SLT to teach Unit 20 (animation) to a motivated group of Year 11's as a trial. I've looked at the specification and it looks fairly straight forward. We have Serif Draw Plus 6 and Flash MX in school so we have the software but i'm really struggling on two fronts.

Firstly, has anyone written any model assignments for unit 20. I believe OCR are in the process of doing so but i'd like to get on with this during my gained time. Secondly, i'm not sure what a pass, merit, distinction quality animation would look like i.e. the final output.

Any links or advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. DPA

DPA

We used flash with a topset class and serif draw 7 for the other sets. As for assignments we asked the students to produce a proposal on a subject of their choice then present them to the teachers. Then any proposals that we believed where too complicated/easy we discussed with the students on how to improve it. This worked really well as the students where producing animations on their interests. As for grading the work we are getting moderated this afternoon so I?ll find out then and report back.

4. Payne-Gallway (www.harcourt.co.uk) have recently published a book entitled "Unit 2 Webpage creation & Unit 20 Creating animation for WWW using ICT" (ISBN 9781905292141). The book has sample projects with all the PASS, MERIT, DISTINCTION criteria etc. Book is endorsed by OCR.

5. Thank you for replying. Would it be possible to email me an example of a finished animation at the different levels. I'm confident I can teach the skills but it's the level of complexity involved that i'm not sure of.

6. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Hi

I would not leave it open ended I would give them a brief or else its problematic to plan and review - we are doing a web banner for a DJ company using tweening and text effects which meets the criteria.

7. The last school that suggested using a book to teach animation I asked "does that involve turning the pages very quickly?". :)

To teach animation you need to show concepts such as timing, to do that you need good and bad examples.

A simple example of the kind of resources where you turn 'pages' more slowly to is the following:
    http://www.ncict-delivered.org/ncit_demo/samples/frameani...

Ones where a man lifts a weight slowly and then quickly shows how important timing is, others need to show breaking down movement into different but parallel sequences, these are much more effective than written materials. You you are right to say that it's not enough to show a finished animation, it has to be broken down.

OCR will produce a clear task that will cover the pass, merit and distinction criteria but that still leaves you to teach the skills and concepts and I honestly don't think, for this unit, that a book holds the answers unless you are simply using it for reference.

8. tonyuk

Would you be so kind as to email me the brief you use with your students to complete Unit 20?

NWLG

I think you are right to suggest that a book is not the be all and end all although it could be useful to some pupils. I think that pupils should see a vast range of animations to work out for themselves what good and bad animation is.

9. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Hi

It is a vey brief brief lol what is you address

10. NWLG - No offence but the book is cheaper than £800...

11. No offence taken saracens :)

Of course most books cover only two or three units in depth and are around £9 each PER STUDENT so you would need to average around £20 worth for each student to do enough units? Maybe less if you swap them around, maybe more if you do more than 6 units in total across different groups? Replace them when they are tatty, must be well over £800 by now?

Crikey, I've just had this terrible vision of the OCR Nationals being taught without computers.

"Today we are going to learn how to put a soundtrack on your video clip - JOHNSON, switch that PC off and open your book at page 26 - lets have some silence at the back please, how can you expect to read with all that soundtrack music being played. SMITH, you *****, stop playing your video clip, the transitions you need to insert are clearly displayed on pages 112 to 156!"

Joking aside, our resources are ICT resources and its unfair of me to be negative about books, each type of media has its strengths and each its weaknesses. As long as we haven't created resources that are just text on the screen then its comparing apples and pears. If digital resorces replicate the book on the screen then yes, best to stick with the book. For some OCR units, that don't require practical skills the book may be a better option, but for animation - never in a million years. I also cannot see the purpose of any book that has endless screenshots on how to do software skills, you need the PC on at the same time to follow them so isn't it better to have an interactive tutorial guiding you instead?

I confess I'm a multimedia resource advocate for kids who want to do a course involving multimedia and will fidget and mess around with books on offer, but find proper multimedia resources engaging and accessible. Whilst many multimedia resources are just expensive copies of a book on the screen I don't believe ours are simply because we trust our teachers to tell us what they need and they have all examined how books and multimedia resources can co-exist for a much better learning experience.

But if you can only afford one type of resource you'll get much more engagement, versatility and accessibility from.........the (right sort of) multmedia resources.

12. I purchased one copy of the book...worked through the examples and wrote my own scheme...total cost £8.99...for the book. NWGL...I have used your materials (DiDA) and think they are excellent and love the fact that they are VLE compatable, however, I just don't think peoples replies to threads should be "rubbished" in order for you to promote your product...these forums are there as an advertising media.

13. Honestly wasn't trying to rubbish your views saracens, and if I came across that way then I apologise. Having seen GNVQ delivered and produced by paper I would hate to see the Nationals go that way. Then having seen DiDA as 'paperless' maybe the use of ICT isn't such a good idea :)
    Parts of the Nationals our teachers were able to support with supporting text but the animation unit really did require a lot of digital development to support it effectively. If it could have been done with supporting text only, we'd have saved a lot of time and effort. Sorry also that you thought I was advertising, its dificult not to come across that way as we had the same problem as other posters with this unit and went to a lot of effort to get this right, so we're naturally enthusiastic about the resources in the same way you are about the book when you posted details of this.
    Thanks for the comment about the DiDA resources, I think the VLE point is very important. The future of teaching resources does (IMHO) exist not with annually licenced resources nor with non-digital resources such as books. Hopefully in the future there will be digital methods for teachers to avoid the cost of books and annual digital resource subscriptions.

14. To NWLG

The NW Dida resources became part of the LGFL. Is the same going to happen to the OCR National resources?

15. LGFL haven't provided any funding for the resources and when we last spoke to them, they wanted to pay less than it cost to make them for London schools. That would mean we would have had to charge other schools more and under our 'content co-operative' we can't do that. We're a public body and can't do a commercial negotiation on price. At £800 one off cost we are optimistically trying to break even on the project so we can fund functional skills resources and an overall ICT resource bank next.

Whilst there are advantages in LgFL hosting the resources under a VLE and London schools generating shared schemes I would suggest that a single school licence also enables you to copy to any machine and give away student copies. Through the perpetuity licence we are encouraging schools to have something that has no external dependency and will never be taken away when funding ceases, which is not the case for any content that is externally hosted or licenced on an annual fee basis. I'm sure that LGFL is there to stay but having your own DVD to keep and copy does future proof you. LGfL can set up your licence through single authentication and host an external copy for you. That we did agree with them and its a useful facility for home access.

16. Thanks for the info. We'll proceed with purchasing it.

17. When you do that, we'll ask LGfL to set up, through single authentication access for yourselves and other London schools through their portal. That should cover you on all bases including us supplying you with your own Learning Platform version for you to keep hold of.

18. Quick question, can eLearning Credits be used to by the NCICT Delivered resources?

19. Hi NWLG

Is there a way to have a look at the material on OCR Nationals before deciding whether to subscribe. I have looked at the sample units but was not that excited by them? I am interested though.