1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Nationals Science Level 2

Discussion in 'Science' started by ananke, Sep 5, 2007.

1. ananke

ananke New commenter

We are starting this course with some of the current Y10s. I am a bit nervous as to how the course will work out. Is there anyone who has some experience with it? I am responsible for unit 11 and have sketched out a scheme of work but would love to know how other people approach this unit. I am starting with the Space topic and will be setting a task of creating a PowerPoint (yawn?!) or brochure about each planet. I feel I need some more creative ideas about how to write stimulating and successful assignments.

Any thoughts? I would welcome any comments on any aspect of the course!

Thanks

2. ananke

ananke New commenter

We are starting this course with some of the current Y10s. I am a bit nervous as to how the course will work out. Is there anyone who has some experience with it? I am responsible for unit 11 and have sketched out a scheme of work but would love to know how other people approach this unit. I am starting with the Space topic and will be setting a task of creating a PowerPoint (yawn?!) or brochure about each planet. I feel I need some more creative ideas about how to write stimulating and successful assignments.

Any thoughts? I would welcome any comments on any aspect of the course!

Thanks

3. Apologies for getting your hopes up with this reply as i cannot help you with unit 3, but in our school we are in our second year of the course, and being new to the school, i am struggling with resources and generally making it interesting. The first unit is best practice in science, and begins with a health and safety leaflet (yawn).

The kids have actually responded fairly well, but anyone who has any resources and/or ideas about how to effectively teach the units, i would really appreciate it.

4. **Star**

**Star** New commenter

Hi I am in my second year of teaching this course and I am still struggling for resources etc. I was wondering if anyone could help me with Unit 2 AO4 - students have to research a company that makes a product that they have made in school, we made soap and paper. Any ideas where i can get information for them. I have emailed companies with no response!!

5. We have also been struggling with resources etc. Our moderator came in before the summer break and gave us some guidance about what was expected and I received from the main man at Kingshurst a CD with AO's and what tasks they did. Let me know if this would be any help.

6. ^^^ This would be a real help!!!

7. Let me have your contact details and I'll pop it in the post. If there are any resources etc that anyone has, maybe we could all share some?

8. ananke

ananke New commenter

That would be a great help to me too. Thanks
    njr_bcc@yahoo.co.uk

I am more than happy to share stuff - not got much yet though!

9. Can I join in?

I've just moved to a school who is doing this for the first time and we are struggling to build resources....

I'm willing to share anything we come up with!

lgolton@talktalk.net

Thanks

10. A copy of the Kinghurst disc would be really useful to me too.
    I have proformas for the 7 tasks for Unit 2, if anyone is interested. I've also found the Unilever site useful for AO4. It has resources on the environment etc that fit some of the AO4 criteria.
    www.unilever.co.uk

marybennett77@btinternet.com

11. We are now in our second year of teaching. Last year was a real walk in the dark, however the Kingshurst materials are a god send, well done to the guy that produced them.

We now though have the problem that some of our students will not put their heads down enough to even finish the 3 unit version. This means that they will leave with nothing!! in Science. Are other schools in the same position?

We are considering about putting these students in for the AQA additional applied Science. Has anyone got any experience of this, can this even be done as a stand alone GCSE?

12. sci84

sci84 New commenter

Doing OCR National - same problem with some pupils not completing coursework.

We do AQA Additional with some groups - one exam on Forensics/Food/Sports Science. One investigation (in one of these areas). One piece of coursework about Science In The Workplace/Health and Safety

It is a stand alone GCSE and could be taken by some as much of it is covered by OCR National.

Anyone seen any exemplar material for Unit 2 - only have Best Practice, Forensic and Unit 11.

13. I know this mesage what posted a long time ago, but do you still have access to the Kingshurst CD-ROM?