1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Nationals - New Specification just released.....

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by disco_biscuit, Dec 13, 2011.

1. The new outline specification for the OCR Nationals in ICT has just been published (clearly awaiting approval from Ofqual) and is available at the following url
    <font face="Calibri" size="3" color="#000000">http://www.ocrnationals.com/assets/pdf/ocr_nationals_ict_l1-2_summary.pdf</font>
    The interesting development is that there is now a "Technical Strand" that includes a choice of three Programming, Control Systems and Networking units. This is therefore the first of many new "technical" qualifications we expect will be popping up on the radar over the next few months.The downside is that as you have to take two "core" ICT units for the Award (1 GCSE equiv) in order to access these units you include them as units towards the Certificate (2 GCSE equiv / 120glh) or Diploma (4 GCSE equiv / 240 glh). Clearly in the new tables from 2014 these will only count as one GCSE.However if the overall glh for the Certificate is 120 glh this represents a standard allocation of time over Y10 and Y11, so might be worth considering. It certainly gives you the opportunity to dip your toe in the water with "Computing" or run different pathways (Technical, Creative, BIS) for different groups with different needs completing the OCR Nationals ICT course.

2. The new outline specification for the OCR Nationals in ICT has just been published (clearly awaiting approval from Ofqual) and is available at the following url
    <font face="Calibri" size="3" color="#000000">http://www.ocrnationals.com/assets/pdf/ocr_nationals_ict_l1-2_summary.pdf</font>
    The interesting development is that there is now a "Technical Strand" that includes a choice of three Programming, Control Systems and Networking units. This is therefore the first of many new "technical" qualifications we expect will be popping up on the radar over the next few months.The downside is that as you have to take two "core" ICT units for the Award (1 GCSE equiv) in order to access these units you include them as units towards the Certificate (2 GCSE equiv / 120glh) or Diploma (4 GCSE equiv / 240 glh). Clearly in the new tables from 2014 these will only count as one GCSE.However if the overall glh for the Certificate is 120 glh this represents a standard allocation of time over Y10 and Y11, so might be worth considering. It certainly gives you the opportunity to dip your toe in the water with "Computing" or run different pathways (Technical, Creative, BIS) for different groups with different needs completing the OCR Nationals ICT course.

3. <font size="2">The actual units of work will be available to look at during BETT in January so I am led to believe. I did not think any vocational course could be worth more than 1 GCSE anymore? I thought that is one main thing the government was putting a stop to. Shows what I know though. </font>

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

As you say 120 GLH is standard over a 2 year GCSE course so why not say that 60GLH = 1/2 GCSE (Short Course), 120 = 1 GCSE, 240 = 2 GCSEs surely?
    The OCR have kept very quiet on this front and I think there's a reason for that.

5. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Yes, I assumed that 60glh = 1/2 GCSe, 120glh = 1 GCSE and 240glh = 2 GCSEs. Looks like another step up in number of units required per GCSE (was 1 1/2 units for 1 GCSE, then 2 1/2, now 4).
    I like the content though, I'll be looking closely at these when they're released.
    Can't see anyone doing the 2 GCSE version though seeing as only 1 will count in league tables.

6. There will only be 2 vocational quals in the league table so if a student does 2 btecs and OCR nationals
    Only 2 will count

7. Don't forget that the revised DIDA is currently in the hands of OFQUAL with Edexcel hoping to confirm the new spec in January (for Sept start teaching). So BTEC,DIDA2,revised Nationals are your key choices.
    BUT I heard a new rule that only one "vocational" course will count, and those worth more than one GCSE will only count as one GCSE equivalent. A major disincentive to offer "double" awards and such like.

8. scruffycat

scruffycat New commenter

The link is a private link or have I missed something? I want to offer ocr nationals BUT need to find out before jan as we have year 9 parents evening.

9. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

If you copy and paste the text, it will work (but otherwise it links to an online mailbox!)
    Or, try http://www.ocrnationals.com/assets/pdf/ocr_nationals_ict_l1-2_summary.pdf

10. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

As I understand it that's the case for league table calculations but not for the students who have worked hard to earn their qualifications.

11. Cheers Captain, I must be one of those dud IT teachers OFSTED are writing about in their latest report.
    Link here