1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Nationals Marking Calculator

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by catch222, Dec 7, 2010.

1. I've checked previous posts and downloaded resources such as :

http://www.tes.co.uk/searchResults.aspx?area=staffroom&keywords=nationals%20marking&cmd=AddPm&val=CSSECTIONID|22

I just want to check:

When I mark pupils' coursework:

Take unit 1.
    A01 P
    A02 P
    A03 P
    A04 M
    A05 D
    A06 D

This would average out as a Merit I assume?

Coupled with say unit 23:
    A01 P
    A02 M
    A03 M
    A04 P

That too would be a merit?

Whereas unit 23:
    A01 D
    A02 P
    A03 D
    A03 D
    That would be a distinction overall?

Therefore I target "D" in Presentation software, spreadsheets and Databases, and most pupils will do very well overall.

I am confident of saying this, just want to check that it's correct in what I am telling my pupils!

Thanks

2. I've checked previous posts and downloaded resources such as :

https://www.tes.co.uk/searchResults.aspx?area=staffroom&keywords=nationals%20marking&cmd=AddPm&val=CSSECTIONID|22

I just want to check:

When I mark pupils' coursework:

Take unit 1.
    A01 P
    A02 P
    A03 P
    A04 M
    A05 D
    A06 D

This would average out as a Merit I assume?

Coupled with say unit 23:
    A01 P
    A02 M
    A03 M
    A04 P

That too would be a merit?

Whereas unit 23:
    A01 D
    A02 P
    A03 D
    A03 D
    That would be a distinction overall?

Therefore I target "D" in Presentation software, spreadsheets and Databases, and most pupils will do very well overall.

I am confident of saying this, just want to check that it's correct in what I am telling my pupils!

Thanks

3. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

it's easy to work out what an overall grade is from the unit grades, it's clearly explained in the handbook and I uploaded a calculator to the TES resource bank here : https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/OCR-Nationals-in-ICT-grade-calculator-6044996/
    However, it's not anywhere near as clear to do what you're asking and work out a unit grade from the component AO grades. Baically, there aren't any rules other than it's "best fit" - you, as the marker, have to make your mind about weightings based on the work.
    PPPMDD would, in most (all?) cases come out as a Merit, yes you are correct - however it depends upon the quality of each bit. If the passes were borderline passes and very low quality, the Merits only just Merits and the Distinctions really low, only-just borderline Distinctions then there could even be a case for giving it a Pass grade. I think that would be very harsh though.
    The example of Unit 23, PMMP highlights this - it depends on the quality of each bit. You could have two students both getting this grade profile, bit overall I might give one of them a Pass and one of them a Merit - if the first student only just scraped Merits for AO2 and 3, yet the second student just missed out on Distinctions in them by a whisker.
    At the end of the day, it comes down to your judgement - I've never had any arguments with moderators regarding this.

4. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Your other example for unit 23, DPDD, could be either Distinction or Merit in my eyes, again based on the overall quality. It's wrong to say that anything other than DDDD would ever always be a Distinction!

5. Thanks for the answer - I didn't realise that the formatting would mess up, it looked easier to read on my screen.

It's what I broadly thought, so thanks for the confirmation.

6. So then, please advise me:

I'm marking coursework;

Currently pupil 1:
    Unit 1:
    A01 P
    A02 P
    A03 M
    A04 M
    A05 D
    A06 D

Which I've given an overall Merit to.

For unit 23,
    A01 M
    A02 M
    A03 D
    A04 D

Which I've given an overall Distinction

but the overall grade is a Distinction. Is that correct?

7. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I would be wary on the unit 23 - you better be sure those merits are nearer to distinctions than the other way round. Personally I would get the candidate to improve one of them to a distinction to be safe.

8. OK - Will do. Appreciate the feedback Dave!

9. It is sad to see the morals of some"teachers" laid bare for all to see:
    http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/315/ICE%20Coursework%202007%20FINAL.pdf
    How will we punish those teachers who think it is okay to cheat when the GTC is gone?

10. Mymouse. You are quoting old guidelines. I've just looked at the 2011 jcq coursework guidelines. It says there quite clearly that you can cheat to make sure pupils get high grades. You can mark work, then give it back for improvements, like dj says. You can tell pupils how to improve their work individually and you can do this as often as you want. Please note that cheating guidelines never apply to ocr nationals and teachers can do whatever is necessary, including encouraging other teachers to cheat.

11. djphillips1408

Hold on, I am not sure I have misread this, are you saying it is cheating to explain to a candidate that their coursework would curently score a particular grade. Then if they go away and improve it based upon suggestions that a teacher gives them then that teacher is guilty of cheating?
    So are you in turn saying that a teacher is only allowed to explain coursework to their students once and once only and if they come back for any further guidance we have to say sorry and walk away?

12. Funny, innit? OCR Nationals' teachers have developed the idea that the JCQ regs don't actually apply to them. And because the results for Nationals are so high (hardly surprising) no regulatory body, either the Head in the school, exam boards themselves, the GTC or JCQ want to investigate, in case it rocks the boat and reveals this widespread disgrace. I doubt there is an OCR Nationals teacher in the country who doesn't break the rules every week. Shameful. Shameful.

13. "based upon suggestions that a teacher gives them"
    Yes!!!!
    Ready the bloody JUQ regulations. OCR Nationals teachers are CHEATING.
    http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1260/14.%20Coursework%20ICC%201011.pdf
    1.2 Any explanation or interpretation given by teaching staff must be general and not
    specific to a candidate’s work.
    2.1 Candidates are free to revise and redraft a piece of coursework without teacher
    involvement before submitting the final piece.
    2.3 Provided that advice remains at the general level,
    enabling the candidate to take the initiative in making amendments, there is no need to
    record this advice as assistance or to deduct marks.
    2.4 Having reviewed the candidate’s coursework it is not acceptable for teachers to give,
    either to individual candidates or to groups, detailed advice and suggestions as to how
    the work may be improved in order to meet the assessment criteria. Examples of
    unacceptable assistance include:
    ? detailed indication of errors or omissions;
    ? advice on specific improvements needed to meet the criteria;
    ? the provision of outlines, paragraph or section headings, or writing frames specific
    to the coursework task(s);
    ? personal intervention to improve the presentation or content of the coursework.
    2.5 ... etc etc

How many times do the JCQ need to say the same thing before OCR Nationals teachers understand the message?
    Jeezzzzzzz.

14. I think the nail has been hit on the head here.
    For so long, OCR Nationals teachers have done what they liked, breaking every rule going, while the proper teachers doing proper courses have struggled valiantly to stick to the rules without cheating. This has been going on for so long now that some posters post things like DJ's post, showing complete surprise that the regs actually apply to them and they are not allowed to do what he is suggesting.
    Surprise surprise the rules do actually apply to the Nationals course.

15. djphillips1408

I hold up my hands. I also reckon so does every teacher in every subject where coursework is involved too, you can't single out any particular spec or subject.

16. I'm a Head of Department of ICT. One of my responsibilities to ensure that I read the appropriate regualtions and follow them. Another is to ensure that the staff I line manage also follow them, not least so that they don't put themselves in the position that they could lose their jobs through malpractice. Having responsibilities and taking them seriously is one reason why I am paid more than a mainscale teacher.If you have been cheating, and you have been letting the teachers you line manage cheat, thenI suggest you stop doing it.

17. - ------ I also reckon so does every teacher in every subject where coursework is involved too
    Speak for yourself. I know I don't cheat and neither do my colleagues. In fact, we have procedures and checks in place in our deparment to ensure that none of us 'forgets' the standards.
    I think the vast majority of teachers DO uphold the standards which they are employed to uphold. What one or two teachers here on this forum seem to be suggesting is wrong, malpractice, unethical and unhelpful to the profession. Little Johnny may be happy that they got a Merit, but if that Merit was obtained by his teacher's cheating, how will little Johnny (or his parents feel), when they work out they got the qualification through deception.
    I hope your Head doesn't find out what you have been doing, assuming they care.

18. djphillips1408

oh please I am not cheating, simply suggesting to kids that they better revisit their coursework because they have sections missing or they only have currently 1 out of 5 available marks in the bank for a certain section so it needs improving is not cheating either. Anyone with any common sense can see that. I don't know who you are or why you seem to troll post on pretty much anything I slap on this forum, but it's pretty sad that you need to use 3 alternative ids to justify your ridiculous postings. Of course the previous poster can advise his student that the work they have aubmitted pre deadline is of a certain standard and if they want to improve it then thay can get a superior grade. We don't stand over the kids saying type this and type that.
    Not coming back to this one, bring a long as many of your imaginary friends as you like whoever you are, you just carry on making a fool of yourself. I am quite happy that my independant moderator is just fine with the way we deliver material, that the kids have their own work submitted and not mine. I am also quite comfortable that their opinion is substantially more important than yours and however many people you pretend to support your point of view.

19. Well said that man!

20. Thanks Catch222 - it's good to know you agree with me as clearly many others do. Please make sure you read the regs and follow them, and don't get sucked in by the odd teacher who says, 'I do it so everyone else must be doing it'. One teacher making suggestions to pupils about how to improve their work doesn't make it right.