1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Nationals Level 2 New Spec Question

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by tonyuk, May 13, 2011.

1. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Hi
    On the new spec spreadsheet unit can we give the pupils the data and they then manipulate it or do they have to find their own.

2. "Design and Create" says to me they've got to do it themselves, but I'm sure others will argue if they "import" the data from a CSV they're still designing and creating. Horses for courses.

3. You can give them the information they need, but not really the data. The key thing is that they can make a spreadsheet from scratch using the information available. You could get them to gather data, or you could have it all written out in a few paragraphs (they extract the data).
    I'd argue that you could give them a table of data as long as they then have to decide how to present it and which calculations they need to do. The key is that you can't have a "finish this off" spreadsheet.

4. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Occasional commenter

When the spec says "design" and create a spreadsheet - does this mean they have to plan/sketch it beforehand THEN produce it?

5. Possibly. I wonder if you have to design at least two different alternatives, on paper, then compare them, then choose one, and justify your choice, to fully meet the criteria?

6. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Occasional commenter

Hope to remember to ask the L2 moderator coming in next week. Hopefully get clarification then.

7. No, it's been made clear on numerous occasions that "design" refers to creating it from scratch rather than being given a template to amend.

8. I've asked a moderator regarding "design" - no, pupils do not need to show sketches of their work or planning etc in the new spec unless specifically requested as an AO (e.g. Design Storyboard). As above, no templates can be used.

9. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

To add weight to the above comments, you do NOT have to design the work on paper, or make more than one version and justify your choice. The "design" key word refers to the fact that the students must make all of the decisions and not be given too much guidance by the teacher. For the old spec, it was suitable to say "make me a spreadsheet that includes x, y and z and works out the total of x and the average of y". Not so for the new spec.

What we do for the new spec unit 1 in general is get students to set up their own business, be it a football club, a pet shop or a fashion house. For the spreadsheet part, the only guidance we give them is that it must calculate 3 things - their total income for the year, their total expenditure for the year and the overall profit. How they do this is up to them and students come up with wildly different ideas of what to include and how to lay it out.

My moderator has confirmed that she will assess the "design" part of it by looking at 3 or 4 students' work - if they're all the same, they haven't designed it, simples!