1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Nationals, L2 Unit 5 - DTP

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by 3raser, Feb 16, 2012.

1. 3raser

3raser New commenter

Hi, I am an NQT and have started teaching my option class Unit 5. They are creating a weekly gossip magazine for teenagers. As part of A05 they are required to use tools in Publisher to create a complex shape. Was just wondering if anyone else teaches that unit and what shapes you get your students to create?
    Thanks very much x

2. 3raser

3raser New commenter

Hi, I am an NQT and have started teaching my option class Unit 5. They are creating a weekly gossip magazine for teenagers. As part of A05 they are required to use tools in Publisher to create a complex shape. Was just wondering if anyone else teaches that unit and what shapes you get your students to create?
    Thanks very much x

3. reddhedd

reddhedd New commenter

We will no longer be teaching that unit as moving to the new Cambridge Nationals, but hope to find something similar.
    However, I taught it last year with a similar scenario - creating a brochure for a wedding planner business. For AO5 I gave 2 options with differentiation.
    For a pass (the weaker students) I had them design a company logo using limited basic shapes (Circle, rectangle, polygon, line).
    For higher levels we had them create a location map, using layered and grouped (need this for merit/distinction) shapes to create items on the map such as houses, trees, buildings etc. Different options on the line tool were use to draw roads and paths, advanced text tools were used for street signs and directions, and they also had to show evidence of cutting, cropping, pasting etc which fit in well with the scenario. Although not sure if this is the same with the new spec as not delivering this year.
    Hope this helps

4. With respect to the old spec, we also did a map which was well received by the moderator.
    Boring, silly unit which more or less defines what I hate about the OCR Nationals.