1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Nationals ICT Level 2 L2 Unit 7 SOW Scheme of Work needed

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by adilnasim786, Sep 17, 2010.

1. adilnasim786

adilnasim786 New commenter

Hi guys,
    Can anyone aid me with a Scheme of work for the Nationals L2 Unit 7 (Database Design)? I have many resources for the unit but no SOW.

Many thanks,

Adil

2. Thank you!

Well I've been practising this weekend but I think getting the class to create one from scratch would take more than an 1hr lesson and they wouldn't be learning much so think I will get them to import already created excel spreadsheets, so that they can start to query... etc.

3. Obviously watch out if you're going down the import route for network restrictions. If you put your CSV / txt into a shared area, will pupils know how to get there? If you put a blank DB in there too, is it going to be read-only restricted (i.e. they wont be able to see the Create or Import options).
    All problems (and more) that happen with Databases where I've had interviews- which I guess is part of the reason why they get you to do it!!

4. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I wasn't implying for one moment that you build the whole thing, but in one hour you can easily get through the concept of a table for genre, one for certificate, and then one for the dvd itself and use lookups. Then if you do get time you can do the table for copies of dvds, once again focussing on the lookup. That way you prove that you understand rel dbases and if they want you ultimatley teaching A level then that is really rather important.

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Watch those videos in the link above the one that matters is going to be
    vid2 genre and certificates.wmv
    Yes they can be part of the table, but if you wanted to prove to me that you knew what you were doing with databases then I would store them in seperate tables. Guess it's going to depend upon the skill set of whoever is observing you teach as to whether or not they will be looking for this. Experience has shown me that most places will not :(

6. djphillips - I'd be tempted to one table it and use the plenary as a stretch question of "how can we improve the user entry of data here?" leading to explanation of normalisation.
    If it's anything like our Y10's though that didn't do databases in Y7 and Y8 they'd be stuck on field types and what a table is(!)