1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Nationals Equivalencies

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by DEmsley, Oct 2, 2007.

1. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I know the OCR Nationals are equivalent to GCSE A*-C but that is a 4 point scale.

OCR Nationals are a 3 point scale so how DO you equate D,M,P with A*,A,B,C?

Any ideas or indication where I'll find an official document outlining this greatfullly received.

Thanks

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I know the OCR Nationals are equivalent to GCSE A*-C but that is a 4 point scale.

OCR Nationals are a 3 point scale so how DO you equate D,M,P with A*,A,B,C?

Any ideas or indication where I'll find an official document outlining this greatfullly received.

Thanks

3. As far as I was aware

A* = Disctinction
    B = Merit
    C = Pass

Thats what I was told and its what Ive told my students. There isnt an A...I dont think lol

4. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I went to the OCR Nationals Moderator meeting at the weekend, and this info is straight off their hand outs that I have in front of me.

OCR National grades
    Pass = 40 points
    Merit = 49 points
    Distinction = 55 points

GCSE grades
    C = 40 points
    B = 46 points
    A = 52 points
    C* = 58 points

As you can see that means that Pass is a direct equivalent to a C, a Merit is half way between a B and an A and a Distinction is half way between an A and a A*.

If you look at the full 4 GCSE equivalent, then the following works out :

Pass = 4 Cs
    Merit = 2 Bs, 2 As
    Distinction = 2As, 2 A*s

5. If OCR nationals only cater for A*-C, what do you offer your other students, apart from entry level?

6. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

We don't - I'm targetting 100% of pupils to get at least a pass. I think the Imedia qualification (also from OCR) caters for less able pupils but I'm not sure.

7. iMedia is a pass or fail. Pass = Grade B at GCSE. From what I have seen it looks very hard to fail.

If a merit is an A/B in the Nationals, it would appear they are aimed at very similar ability groups.

8. AJT

AJT

I have a presentation from Keith Parry chief examiner for OCR Nationals which said:

for distinction

Pass = 4 Cs
    Merit = AABB
    Distinction = A*A*AA

There is also a breakdown for award, First Award & First Certificate. I can mail you the presentation if you are interested.

Andy

9. arron spelt aaron

arron spelt aaron New commenter

As far as I can see 1 GCSE C grade is equivalent to about 2 of these new pass grades. Or is that just me ?

Ahren

10. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

That's just you!

11. arron spelt aaron

12. arron spelt aaron

No - What I mean is, the work for 2 of the new pass grades is about the same as need for one of those old fashsioned GCSE thingys !

I don't understand why QCA hasn't noticed this !!

Ahren

13. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

#3 gavcradd provided the tables:

OCR National grades
    Pass = 40 points
    Merit = 49 points
    Distinction = 55 points

GCSE grades
    C = 40 points
    B = 46 points
    A = 52 points
    A* = 58 points

How do you sell this course to SMT. "By the way boss we'll never get any A*s in this course is that OK?"

Do kids say to an employer:
    "I've got 7.5 GCSEs"
    "I got a B and a half in ICT"

Wierd.

14. arron spelt aaron

"How do you sell this course to SMT" ?

Basically, you say - "This course will give you 2 or maybe 3 GCSE equivalents in the time taken to do 1 proper GCSE." (with pupils who would fail a traditional GCSE!)

Therefore the school league tables "go to pot" as 5 A* to C percentages go through the roof !

Ahren

15. How would anyone sell it to SMT, particularly in Wales where it cannot be included in the school's 5A*-Cs results at present. This is the same for DiDA and BTEC and other courses too.
    We could ask who would spend a fortune on the latest hardware and software for a course that in the eyes of parents and probably employers doesn't count. I'm coming to the end of my harping on about this because noone's listening, exam board, welsh assembly, LEAs noone, simply noone. If you're interested look at the 'DiDA in Wales' thread Goodnight.

16. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

How do you sell it to the SMT? In a lot of cases they're already sold on the old GNVQ so this is a straight replacement that gets the lower ability kids 4 GCSEs. For higher ability kids, if they get a distinction it'll be equivalent to 2 As and 2 A*s - and as the full course can be done in the cirriculum time of 2 options, they get the 2 A*s anyway with 2 As thrown in on top.

The only people I can see any downaside for are the real brain-boxes who are going for 10 A*s - Distinction at this might then drag their average down by a tiny bit. How many of those have you got at your school?

17. I want this mailed (dalek1099dw@aim.com)Exactly what i have been looking for!!!

18. Maybe QCA didn't but Ofsted did. Gove did, Wolf did, Colleges did, employers ....

19. Love a copy
    kevmitson@gmail.com
    thanks
    Kev Mitson ICT Teacher De Aston School Lincolnshire