1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Nationals Animation - Which software?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by learnit, Apr 11, 2011.

1. I was shocked to read this. Why would you not want to teach students to use Flash or equivalent software so that they can experience something of web animation in the real world? As far as I can see Fireworks doesn't allow key frames, shape and motion tweening, motion paths, filters, importing movie clips, importing sound, optimisation, control of frame rate.
    OCR Nationals are supposed to be industry relevant. Using Fireworks to create the most basic animation possible is surely not the intention.

2. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Because HTML5 will (hopefully) kill off Flash for everything but games programming by the time the students enter the world of work?

3. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

So long as it teaches key concepts of animation, I wouldn't be too fussed about which s/w is used. I'd love to have a school licence for DrawPlus because of its simplicity.
    Has anyone tried Animee Studio? I've not got around to playing with this yet. There is also Crazy Talk Animation Studio, but it is more expensive. I think there is also Toon Studio.

4. We use Serif Draw Plus for all our students (whole cohort) and the lowest abilitly pupils can access this software.
    There are a few problems with the software, sometimes it crashes and pupils are unable to access thier work. Serif tell us that pupils are using too many of the advanced features but.... don't quite understand that either.
    Overall, very good software.

5. Unfortunately, the above is typical of the world-view of the majority of OCR National teachers. Shame really. Anyway, more positively;
    Consider the final end format. Do you want a GIF to embed on pages? (no sound of course, limited in scope, and raster format) Or Flash SWF, a pure vector? It depends what you want you end product to be and then choose the tool accordingly. Nobody could go too far wrong getting their students stuck into some animation in Flash (and export as a GIF at the end anyway if needed).

6. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

my kids are all taught using flash, and most get a real kick out of it. It tends to be (what i call) the creatives rather than the academics that excel and it's a challenge, it's not easy.

I've been teaching it now for about 3 years now and the success varies, but i've refined my method and got a good system for teaching it. It also leaves me open for introducing kids to the Animation 11 at manchester uni and getting some entries ;o)

I've just started a flash club for lower school in order to get entries and even after the deadline for animation 11 the kids are saying "i love flash club, can we please keep coming"...well woudl you stop them!

Don't dismiss the software for the ease of use, give the kids a challenge, they will usually rise to it!