1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Nationals - 1 gcse now only half under new scheme from sept 2010

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ictgoodpractice, Jun 21, 2010.

1. I have just been to the London road show and for my school it is not an issue but they announced that 1 gcse equivalent now requires 100 teaching hours and the short course is 60.
    So that means I can no longer do the full GCSE due to time in the time table. Anyone else in this position.

I wonder whether they will still charge the full GCSE amount of money for the half course.
    It seems the govt told them the 1 GCSE was not a valid full GCSE so it is now worth a half. Can see both sides of the arguement just frustrating as timetable written and would need more ICT teacher to deliver the full gcse.
    Hmmm

2. I have just been to the London road show and for my school it is not an issue but they announced that 1 gcse equivalent now requires 100 teaching hours and the short course is 60.
    So that means I can no longer do the full GCSE due to time in the time table. Anyone else in this position.

I wonder whether they will still charge the full GCSE amount of money for the half course.
    It seems the govt told them the 1 GCSE was not a valid full GCSE so it is now worth a half. Can see both sides of the arguement just frustrating as timetable written and would need more ICT teacher to deliver the full gcse.
    Hmmm

3. I've heard it was a bit overwhelming there today, too.
    Ho hum.

4. robot1

robot1 New commenter

It will be a problem for us. We only have one 50 min lesson per week over two years. The whole year group do it.
    We can either just teach the pass level stuff or let the lower ability drop to the half GCSE version.
    We are staying with the old spec for now and will decide what to do later.

5. Are you entering Year 10s and 11s? I've heard of school's who are entering Year 8s under the current spec so that they can get it done in 2 years. I'd be interested to hear from other people who had been to the roadshows

6. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Yes I was there to...nice lunch and free yippee...very packed though.
    We will be teaching the skills during years leading upto year 10 - seems odd to downgrade to a 1/2 GCSE and so full is 2 1/2 units totally bonkers still unit 1, 4 and 21 here we come...be interested to see new unit 21 not looked yet as hopefully tasks are the same so pretty quick in fireworks!

7. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

This has been in the documentation on the OCR website for a couple of months so it should have come as no surprise.
    The reductions in the amount of dull content in Unit 1 and a judicious choice of the other units makes it still possible to complete in KS4. 100 hours = 40 per year plus homeworks (= 120 to 160 depending on the homework policy of the school) seems to fit well enough within the structure of *most* schools' KS4.

8. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

It is interesting to see the units others do. Obviously down to personal preference of the teachers (plus skills and software available I guess).
    Unit 4 is a very long unit in my view and probably the most difficult to "get right". It requires animation, video and audio editing to be included, effectively covering a lot of units 20,22, & 23 (I think).
    Personally I think 1, 2 and 21 seem to be better combination. Although there is a work experience unit which we may look at long term.

9. We have started on the new spec with year 9 and we are incorporating A01 of unit 1, (elf and safety), into 2nd part of unit 4 as an interacrive presentation for training staff with a quiz attatched.

10. We are going to start the new spec in year 10 and are combining A01, A03 and A02 (the searching part) together to make it easier for our selves.

11. I have found unit 2 to be a very long dull unit. Units 4 or 7 or 8 would be my choices along with units 1 and 21 of course.

12. shaz2009

shaz2009 New commenter

Hi
    there,

We
    will be delivering the new spec this coming term, am I assuming right that you
    have to complete three units for 1 GCSE.

We
    are thinking alongside unit 1, we will be doing unit 21 and 22.

Are
    we allowed to do two half units?

13. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

14. 1 GCSE = 100 GLH, 2 GCSE = 180 GLH
    Unit 1 = 40 GLH
    Unit 21 = 20 GLH
    Unit 22 = 20 GLH
    Therefore you will be 20 GLH short, would suggest Unit 1 + Unit 2 + either Unit 21 or 22

15. We do 1, 4 and 20. A good mix.

16. shaz2009

shaz2009 New commenter

Thanks guys,
    Better get ready :)
    Shaz

17. if you look at the 'French Trip' Unit 1 task, on the OCR Site, you can follow this through quite easily and works well with the students. I have already got my Yr 9s done with AO1 using this scenario.