1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR National Unit 1 moderation probelm

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ctxsak, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Officially I think that if you have even number of each grade then it's teacher's discretion as to overall grade, but unofficially I think yes, some AOs are harder and so have more weight. I remember our moderator saying something about it too in one of his visits. In Unit 1 AO4 is the one I think of as being most important (well, hardest to get distinctions on) followed by AO2 and AO1 while AO3 and AO6 could get distinctions with about 10 minutes sloppy work.

In unit 22 AO3 is the important AO as it's the actual creating AO instead of just waffling on in a table AO as the rest are.

2. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

I've not heard anything about weighting either, maybe it was the way that particular moderator explained it.
    That's what it's all about - the judgement. Contrary to what some people say, there's no easy formula to calculate an overall grade. The only stipulation is that candidate's must have all of the Pass criteria; after that it's all about judgement. If the three merits you've awarded are not particulalry strong merits then it may be that Pass is the most appropriate grade overall. If they've covered most of the Merit criteria and maybe a few bits of Distinction, then Merit could be awarded. It's impossible really to say for definite without seeing th candidate's work.
    Did the moderator write about these weightings in his report? If so maybe you could query it with OCR. If not, there's not much you can do.

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

To be truthful I think your moderators spot on the money. I understood them all to be equal but let's be honest AO1 2 and 4 involve by far more work than the others.

4. That's news to me. Dont ya just hate it when exam boards tell you how to grade a piece of work, and the op sounds like he followed the advice given by ocr, and then they have "unwritten" rules about how it should actally be done. What this probabably to do with is the intense ctiticism the nationals have been getting about being rather noddy in nature and these new unpublished criteria are ocr's way of responding. You could make a formal cokplaint but ocr have pretty much got this locked down to thwart any complaints.

5. robot1

robot1 New commenter

Thanks for your comments. I do think that some AOs are harder and would not have any problem with it if OCR said so. I will have to take it on the chin this time. But I wish OCR were more honest and transparent. It would have been better if they explained this in their documentation somewhere.
    Thanks.

6. I've always gone down the route of "if they don't have 6 Merits, they don't have a Merit overall". Yes we can use our discretion if they don't have a few bits of Merit completed to the same standard as others, but look at the difference in amount of work between say, getting Pass in AO1, AO2 and AO4 and Merit in the others compared to the other way around. In evidencing terms they could get away with not creating the extra multi-page document, not grammar checking work, not fully understanding copyright etc, and still getting Merit.

7. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

It's a tough call, if you have 3 passes and 3 merits then it's all down to teacher judgement. There can't be that many students though in that situation?

Next time, just don't give a Merit unless they have 4 out of 6 overall. Simples.

8. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Whilst I'd agree that A01 is far more work it does NOT include any higher level ICT skills at all so, IMHO, it shouldn't weigh anything at all. It is the worst part of this unit as the majority of it is totally unnecessary screenshots.

9. Oh, but making a shortcut to a file is totally different from making a shortcut to a directory. Um, oh, wait, you're right!

I wonder if you'd get marks for showing this:

me@home:~$ ln -s tmp/blah.py foo

me@home:~$ ll foo

lrwxrwxrwx 1 me me 10 2011-02-14 18:11 foo -> tmp/blah.py

me@home:~$

Or would the moderator fail it because a symlink isn't a shortcut?

10. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I do accept this however it doesn't play ball with AO4, there is no way that you can tell me that AO3, 5 & 6 take as much effort/understanding as producing the 4 docs required for AO4, especially if you ware chasing the higher grades.

11. Only problem I can see is that damned setting priority of emails. It's a non-standard thing for crying out loud... and (al)pine doesn't let me. Iirc that's on the merit criteria so I could only get a pass on AO1.

Here's my backup script... and it's to a usb hard drive, so that's a backup to a removable medium.

me@home:~$ cat /etc/cron.daily/backup

#!/bin/sh

mount -o remount,rw /media/hitachi

cp -a /etc/ /home/me/backups/

/usr/bin/pdumpfs /home /media/hitachi --exclude=/home/me/downloads --exclude=/home/me/.gvfs >/dev/null 2>>/media/hitachi/error.log

mount -o remount,ro /media/hitachi

me@home:~$

You know what, I'm half temped to enter a geeky answer to AO1 and give it to our moderator to mark as a "I'm not sure how to mark this, can you help?" type thing... I'll give him some of the sh!tty powerpoints I've been subjected to by "professionals" on inset courses as the AO3 solution. We can have some Value Added Targets spreadsheet as the AO5... oh dear, this is sounding far too fun!

Thank the Lord that I'm not teaching that wishy washy tripe any more. NO MORE UNIT ONE, WAHAY!!! Only about 40 unit 22s left to get passed and NO MORE OCR NATIONALS FOR ME! YAY!!!! I'm doing the aqa yearbook coursework task instead, not much better but at least it's a bit better!

12. E-Mail priority is AO2.

AO1 Pass would be create folders, protect file, list folders, create shortcuts, backup
    AO1 Merit - subfolders, shortcuts to programs, opening files of different typ, restoring from removable, delete, copy, move.
    AO1 Dist - rename, search, edit a shortcut and delete shortcut

Pretty sure we can do this all!

13. It's a shame you've become disaffected with OCR Nationals. I think if you move away from the simple "evidence this" units you can end up with a fun and interesting course for pupils and teachers. There's always the drab Unit 1 though.

14. Ah yes, email is AO2 - evidently I'm trying to forget the markscheme as I no longer need it!

So search then, can I use `locate foo` or do I need to do `find . --name "foo"`

How would we go about passwording a file? Could I do a full install of pgp or just use mcrypt? Or even chmod...

opening files of different types? Um, really? Is that for the locate and open files bit? I was just happy with a screenshot of an open word document (and the moderator never pulled me up for anything). So I guess our equivalent would be `gvim bar.txt` then.

Um, I've thought of a stumbling block. To rename you use mv, but then how do you show moving and renaming being two different things? `mv foo bar` for renaming and `mv foo/bar bar/` for moving as there's no renaming going on? What a joke... oh, wait, that's the whole qualification summed up in three words!

15. Become?! I've been like this from the start. AO3 sums up the mickey mouse nature of it... Pass - 3 slide ppt. Merit - 4 slide ppt with slide transitions. Dist - 5 slide ppt with slide transitions and custom animation. EVEN THOUGH CUSTOM ANIMATION AND SLIDE TRANSITIONS NORMALLY MAKE FOR TERRIBLE SLIDE SHOWS.

If I move away from the evidence this units... alas for the first award in it's mostly unit 1. I only get an hour a week for KS4 ICT, so don't really have time to do more than that for most students.

16. I know, I know ctxsak. But the new 2010 course is better. AO3 has to be 5 slides for Pass, animations and transitions have to be appropriate to audience and purpose and more emphasis on planning. Still not rigorous, but better....

17. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Emphasis yes, but no requirement to show ANY planning as evidence you've done it. Still you're right about it being better, just.

18. I've not gone through a moderation of the 2010 spec so haven't been able to confirm this - but I thought the requirement was "Design and produce xxxx" rather than just "Create". That to me says P1 should at least include a draft layout of your powerpoint design - not as detailed as OCR L3's "create a template", but it should show some planning as evidence rather than just the final outcome?
    If not then I'd think schools are "playing the game" again...

19. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

As our current Y10 and Y11 are finishing earlier spec. we're just starting planning for 2010+ for Y9 into 10 now for Unit 1. I hope the higher level planning items are necessary with the assessment, I think they will be for our students anyway - get 'em doing it right right from the start [​IMG]

20. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

No, you are incorrect. The "design" bit simply means that students should not be given a template to use by their teacher, they should "design" the layout for themselves. They <u>don't</u> have to do any draft designs or paper designs for any of unit 1. My moderator has clarified it for me that she will look at 3 or 4 students' work - if they all look very similar, they haven't designed it themselves. Simples.
    As an example of the difference it's made for us, in the "old" spec, for the Unit 1 spreadsheet task, we used to give the students a set of data and ask them to calculate specific things (e.g, total income, expenditure, profit, averages, etc). Every student's work looked more or less identical, if you ignore the formatting. For the "new" spec, that would not be allowed, so instead we give the students a much more vague task. I still ask them to calculate their total income / expenditure / profit, etc but I leave it up to them to make up the figures, decide how to lay it out, work out what needs to be calculated, etc. It takes a little longer but they don't have any problems with it.